developing and burning a bootloader in K22P48M50SF4 MCU

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

developing and burning a bootloader in K22P48M50SF4 MCU

shubhampaul
Contributor I

Guys I am totally new to MCU dev boards,currently I am trying to make a dev board of my own using K22P48M50SF4 MCU. I am using a similar circuitry for it as the open source McHck . Now I need some help regarding the development and use of a bootloader for this MCU as I am planning on understanding the bootloader devlopment. after researching a bit I found a J tag debugger named J-Link segger EDU and a open source bootloader called OpenSDAv2 (i dont know what it is). I want my arm dev board to be programmed with keil edu version. So it would be really helpful if you guys help me with the entire process of Bootloader flashing (A guide or something ) with J-link segger ( or if possible please suggest any cheap alternatives for burners except j link segger). I have no idea on ARM-CORTEX-M4(K22P48M50SF4 ) Bootloaders so please help me with it .

5 Replies

paulminusx
Contributor III

Thanks for the Help Earl.Finally I went with uTasker Bootloader . Here is the guide uTasker Bootloader Porting Guide

EarlOrlando
Senior Contributor II

Hello Shubham,

Could you please double check your part number? Thank you.

Are you interested in understand the programming interface or just found a cheap alternative to program your MCU?

Best regards,

Earl.

0 Kudos

shubhampaul
Contributor I

My MCU model is MK22DX256VLF5.I am interested in the understanding the  programming Interface as well as understanding the working of a bootloader(In-Depth ) As I propose to understand any source code of any bootloader (ARM) and if possible I am wiling to write one for MK22DX256VLF5 or other ARM MCU. Mchck uses MK20DX32VLF5 and they have provided a way of uploading the bootloader using a bus pirate/blaster.I am willing to know that if I can tweak that MK20DX32VLF5 bootloader itself and use it for MK22DX256VLF5 if possible.If not I want to understand the source code of MK20DX32VLF5 bootloader and want help from you guys to develop a simple bootloader for MK22DX256VLF5 so that I can directly code it from Keil/Codewarrior/Kinectic desgin studio ...etc. I saw about openSDA hardware and I have a bit of idea(superficial overview ) now about its working.I am not willing to use openSDA now but I saw that for  MK22DX256VLF5 if I use open sda circuitry then the MSD Bootloader (along with OpenSDA firmware is available for this MCU) thats why I was thinking of using it if I cant write or find a direct bootloader for MK22DX256VLF5 furthermore I want to delvelop a development board using a MCU of my choicce (ARM though) so I wish to learn more about bootloaders and the necessary Hardware and software required to upload it from PC, I want to primarily focus on the fact that I'll be using a USB supported MCU so I just want to connect it to the PC and burn the code. I dont know much about J-link and other J-Tag Debugger but I only wish to use it to flash the bootloader ONCE.PLlease help me understanding the above mentioned points.

0 Kudos

EarlOrlando
Senior Contributor II

Hello again Shubham,

I recommend you to read this document from Antony Huereca which explains with detail the OpenSDA bootloader for the MK20 OpenSDAv2.

For your application I recommend you to take a look into the Kinetis bootloader which is compliance with the K22 MCU (only 100 and 120 MHz).

Kinetis Bootloader|Freescale

Also, I recommend you to read this great post from Erich Styger which explains in detail what is a bootloader and how to implement it.

Serial Bootloader for the Freedom Board with Processor Expert | MCU on Eclipse

Best regards,

Earl.

paulminusx
Contributor III

Thank you so much Earl .Sorry for replying a bit late (semester exams). I am saw the above links. I would like state that my custom MK22DX256VLF5 board is ready and after few tries I was able to program it through the SWD port of the OpenSDA Circuitry of FRDM Kl25z (of course I removed the jumper of openSDA from KL25z MCU .I was able to use few Libraries that is available for MK22DX256VLF5 in Keil and after tweaking with the blink code of MK22FN512xxx12 because there are no ready made examples for MK22DX256VLF5 in KEIL.So now that I have flashed my first code on my new hardware with a debugger (opensda) of some another board I want to develop a USB bootloader for my custom board that can directly flash a code( in .bin or .s19 format) to the MCU without the use of openSDA( or in the worst case ,with it ) I also want to develop a bootloader ( like CMSIS-DAP.s19) so that it ca directly communicate through Keil.I have read your last link by ErichStyger.Its good but the problem is he doesnt explain how to make a bootloader or proper steps to do it.He explains how to use a already developed bootloader and how to flash it Serial using processor expert.Cause I am a complete newbie I am completely clueless.So can you refer me a link which meets my above said purpose. I have searched a lot but the problem is there are not much articles on ARM but AVR.So if possible help me a bit. :smileyhappy:

Regards,

Shubham

0 Kudos