1GB ethernet support by CF?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1GB ethernet support by CF?

TerryMcP
Contributor I
What are the chances that a CF would be able to support a 1gb ethernet connection? How about the v5 core?

Thanks,
TerryMcP

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

JWW
Contributor V
TerryMcP,

Thanks for your question.

Fundamentally there is no reason that ColdFire can't support GigE.   We've just been watching the market and price points and at this time haven't seen a huge demand for GigE. 

We would be interested in your application and needs, and I would welcome any data you have related to GigE needs.  Feel free to send a private email if you like.

We do have GigE coming.  I can't pre-announce a new chip, but I can say that we are collecting inputs and have plans.

Also...in relation to the V5.  Fundamentally, the V3 and V4 could handle GigE as well, since the primary problem with GigE is memory bandwidth limits.  The V5ex core utilizes 64bit internal buses, so it could minimize the required clock rate.  The V3 and V4 traditionally (except for the 547x and 548x) use 32 bit bus.  So to do GigE right, a good solid memory subsystem is required.  So you could see GigE on V3 and/or V4/V5 systems at some point in the future.

Does this help?

-JWW

0 Kudos

w2vy
Contributor V

How about testing the existing parts to make sure they can negociate properly to 100MB when connected to a GigE?

The MCF52236AF50A does not appear to do it properly.

tom

0 Kudos

JWW
Contributor V

Tom, 

We do test the chips in GigE routers.

Unfortunately, this chip's part number was left out of the errata, but it is in the same family and suffers the same bug.

Look at this errata: MCF52236 Errata

Look at errata #10 and see if that helps.

-JWW

0 Kudos