Anyone else having Debugging Programming issues with CW 10.6 and PE Universal Multilink?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having Debugging Programming issues with CW 10.6 and PE Universal Multilink?

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

Good day All,

I was curious if anyone else is having debugging/programming issues with CW 10.6 and PE Micro's Universal Multilink with Kinetis K60 projects?  I ask, as I have been having a nasty time with this.  I was initially using KDS and had issues with the Multilink... these were eventually sorted, but had to abandon KDS for a some other issues (i.e. incremental compile programs, unable to debug some projects in RAM, etc).  I then switched back to CW 10.6 and for some basic Processor Exprt projects all worked mostly OK... I still had issues, but would start working after several attempts.  As I now work on a larger project I am having repeated connectivity issues between 10.6 and the PE Multilink... at least that is what the error dialog is saying.  To rule out the Multilink I purchased PE's Kinetis programming software and when 10.6 cannot connect to the Multilink for debugging or programming, I launch the PE Software and I can always connect, initialize, and even program the connected K60 part...  I then close this program and try debugging, programming, etc and I get the error that "The Debugger can not connect to the PE Device...".  Just to ensure that it was not my hardware, I use Freescale's K60 Tower board and I get the same issue.   If I use an older version of CW (i.e. 10.2) I do not seem to have this issue...  I suppose could simply use 10.2, but would prefer to use the latest tools if possible.  For me there seems to something amiss with CW 10.6 and the Multilink... Has anyone else had this issue and if so did you ever resolve it?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Sam

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Can you check in your task manager if you have multiple DE.exe running (see Killing Me Softly: Zombies and Debugger Engines | MCU on Eclipse) and if so, kill them?

Erich

0 Kudos

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

Good day Erich,

Thanks for your response!  The was one the first things I checked, as I remembered your post about this last Fall.  That being said that is not the case here...

Cheers,

Sam

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Honestly, without much information it is hard to tell what the problem could be. It could be hardware, software or a combination of both.

Maybe you can have a look at my article here

Debugging Failure: Check List and Hints | MCU on Eclipse

which summarizes what I have encountered on my own desk?

Erich

0 Kudos

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

Good day Erich,

I will take a look at your article.  However, I have ruled out a number of things by doing the following:

1. I have tried different hardware (K60) and have the same result... and the test hardware is Freescale's own K60 Tower dev system

2. To ensure that it is not the multilink and the thin BDM cable, I launch PE's Flash Programming software and I am able to immediately connect, initialize, and program the attached K60... 0 Problems and I have never had a connection issue... never.... And remember this test is without touching or altering the K60 target, multilink, etc...

3. If I make a simple rudimentary Processor Expert project (i.e. blink a LED) I have this issue

4. If I use CW 10.2 I do not have as much problem... once in a while  CW will fail to connect to the Multilink, but after a few attempts it starts to work OK.

Based upon the above it really looks as if there are issues between CW 10.6 and the multilink.

As I said I could go back to CW 10.2... which is looking like what I must do in order to try and maintain some level of productivity...

Thanks again for the link!

Cheers,

Sam

0 Kudos