How to proprely remap peripherals in MQX4.1 BSP for K60?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to proprely remap peripherals in MQX4.1 BSP for K60?

Jump to solution
ARQuattr
Contributor IV

I am trying to remap a UART port to different pins on a K60 custom board running MQX4.1 and the TWRK60F120M BSP. The BSP uses UART0 RX/TX on pins PTA1 and PTA2, but I have pins PTA15 and PTA14 wired for UART0. The UART is enabled in the user_config.h file and I modified the _bsp_serial_io_init function in the init_gpio.c file, changing these lines for the UART0 case (changing only the bit numbers to 15 and 14):

pctl->PCR[15] = 0 | PORT_PCR_MUX(2) | PORT_PCR_DSE_MASK;

pctl->PCR[14] = 0 | PORT_PCR_MUX(2) | PORT_PCR_DSE_MASK;

...but this doesn't work. If I leave the original PCR settings and wire the RX input to PTA1, it works OK, so I'm not sure why changing to the other pins is not working. When I use the above PCR settings it doesn't read the UART on either RX pin (PTA1 or PTA15). I was testing only RX so far.

Since PTA14 and PTA15 are also used by the ENET, I disabled all the ENET options, setting RTCSCFG_ENABLE_IP4, RTCSCFG_ENABLE_UDP, RTCSCFG_ENABLE_TCP, RTCSCFG_ENABLE_STATS, RTCSCFG_ENABLE_GATEWAYS, RTCSCFG_ENABLE_LWDNS, and RTCSCFG_ENABLE_ICMP to 0 in user_config.h. This didn't help.  (BTW, is there a better/easier way to simply disable all RTCS features?)

I also have it printing out the state of the PCR registers for both pins to confirm it was set correctly by _bsp_serial_io_init and wasn't subsequently changed.  The PCR registers for both PTA14 and PTA15 read 0x240, as I believe they should be.

I tried the same things on an actual tower board and had the same results so I don't think there is a hardware issue.

Is there some other step I'm missing to remap that UART port?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Angelo,

I suspect that one of the following software configurations in the BSP is wrong:

Enable the #define BSPCFG_ENABLE_TTYA in user_config.h to 1.

In twrk60f120m.h setup Default IO to use ttya as follows:

#ifndef BSP_DEFAULT_IO_CHANNEL

#if BSPCFG_ENABLE_TTYA <--HERE

#define BSP_DEFAULT_IO_CHANNEL "ttya:" <--HERE //DES was "ttyf:" /* OSJTAG-COM polled mode */

#define BSP_DEFAULT_IO_CHANNEL_DEFINED

#else

#define BSP_DEFAULT_IO_CHANNEL NULL

#endif

#else

Change the PCR settings for UART0 from PTA1/2 to PTA14/15 AND fix the MUX setting in init_gpio.c as follows:

/* Setup GPIO for UART devices */

switch (dev_num)

{

case 0:

pctl = (PORT_MemMapPtr)PORTA_BASE_PTR;

if (flags & IO_PERIPHERAL_PIN_MUX_ENABLE)

{

#if 1 //DES 1=test for using PTA14/15 as alternate UART interface for TWR-K60F120M, 0=default code

/* PTA1 as RX function (Alt.3) + drive strength */

pctl->PCR[15] = 0 | PORT_PCR_MUX(3) | PORT_PCR_DSE_MASK;

/* PTA2 as TX function (Alt.3) + drive strength */

pctl->PCR[14] = 0 | PORT_PCR_MUX(3) | PORT_PCR_DSE_MASK;

#else

pctl->PCR[1] = 0 | PORT_PCR_MUX(2) | PORT_PCR_DSE_MASK;

pctl->PCR[2] = 0 | PORT_PCR_MUX(2) | PORT_PCR_DSE_MASK;

#endif

}

Re-compile the RTOS and MQX Application.

My hardware setup.

I just used my MQX4.1.1TWR-K60F120MTWR-SER card.

On TWR-SER card remove jumpers J17 and J19 (but record how they were configured so you can restore the setting: Default on 1-2 pins).

I installed jumper wire from TWR-K60F120M J23 pin 1 to TWR-SER J19 pin 1. This PTA14 UART0_TX.

I installed jumper wire from TWR-K60F120M B15 Primary riser side to TWR-SER J17 pin 1. This PTA15 UART0_RX.

I ran a modified hello world example so I could test both TX and RX signal paths.

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Angelo,

Please check the below thread and let me know if this helps :smileywink:

Cannot get any input using UART with MQX
Have a great day,
Sol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
ARQuattr
Contributor IV

Hi Soledad, thanks for your reply.  I checked all the things mentioned but they don't help unfortunately.  Also, I was using ittya for this port from the beginning.

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Angelo,

Please check your BSP to see if you are initializing Ethernet as the PTA14 and PTA15 are initialized in the _bsp_enet_io_init() function in the init_gpio.c file.  I suspect that the ENET is getting configured after you have changed setup the serial port to use PAT14/15.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
ARQuattr
Contributor IV

Hi David, thanks for your reply.  As I noted, I tried to disable all the ENET options although I'm not sure if I did it correctly/completely.  Also, I checked the PCR registers and they look OK.

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Angelo,

I suspect that one of the following software configurations in the BSP is wrong:

Enable the #define BSPCFG_ENABLE_TTYA in user_config.h to 1.

In twrk60f120m.h setup Default IO to use ttya as follows:

#ifndef BSP_DEFAULT_IO_CHANNEL

#if BSPCFG_ENABLE_TTYA <--HERE

#define BSP_DEFAULT_IO_CHANNEL "ttya:" <--HERE //DES was "ttyf:" /* OSJTAG-COM polled mode */

#define BSP_DEFAULT_IO_CHANNEL_DEFINED

#else

#define BSP_DEFAULT_IO_CHANNEL NULL

#endif

#else

Change the PCR settings for UART0 from PTA1/2 to PTA14/15 AND fix the MUX setting in init_gpio.c as follows:

/* Setup GPIO for UART devices */

switch (dev_num)

{

case 0:

pctl = (PORT_MemMapPtr)PORTA_BASE_PTR;

if (flags & IO_PERIPHERAL_PIN_MUX_ENABLE)

{

#if 1 //DES 1=test for using PTA14/15 as alternate UART interface for TWR-K60F120M, 0=default code

pctl->PCR[15] = 0 | PORT_PCR_MUX(3) | PORT_PCR_DSE_MASK;

pctl->PCR[14] = 0 | PORT_PCR_MUX(3) | PORT_PCR_DSE_MASK;

#else

pctl->PCR[1] = 0 | PORT_PCR_MUX(2) | PORT_PCR_DSE_MASK;

pctl->PCR[2] = 0 | PORT_PCR_MUX(2) | PORT_PCR_DSE_MASK;

#endif

}

Re-compile the RTOS and MQX Application.

My hardware setup.

I just used my MQX4.1.1TWR-K60F120MTWR-SER card.

On TWR-SER card remove jumpers J17 and J19 (but record how they were configured so you can restore the setting: Default on 1-2 pins).

I installed jumper wire from TWR-K60F120M J23 pin 1 to TWR-SER J19 pin 1. This PTA14 UART0_TX.

I installed jumper wire from TWR-K60F120M B15 Primary riser side to TWR-SER J17 pin 1. This PTA15 UART0_RX.

I ran a modified hello world example so I could test both TX and RX signal paths.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
ARQuattr
Contributor IV

Thanks David, I see my mistake - I didn't notice the MUX needed to change also (I left it Alt 2, when it needed to change to Alt 3).  I will try this, but I'm fairly sure that is the issue.

One other question - is there a single define that can be disable to turn off all RTCS?

Thanks again,

Angelo

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Angelo,

Glad to help.

Simplest method is “don’t” use it ☺

With the hello world example it never initializes the ENET interface so you don’t have to go an comment out code in the BSP.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos