Processor Expert tutorial problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processor Expert tutorial problems

krubow
Contributor I

I have downloaded and installed Kinetis Design Studio IDE version 1.0.1 (beta), and the Processor Expert User Guide PEXDRVSPEXUG.pdf. This sounds like very powerful software. The user guide was a little overwhelming, but I was happy to see the Processor Expert Tutorial in chapter 4. The only problem is that I can't seem to get past square 1 of the tutorial. The first steps of the tutorial, and my problems, are as follows:

Create a new project:

1) In the IDE, click File menu and select New > Bareboard Project in order to create a new project. (Problem- there is no "Bareboard Project" under File->New)

3) Select Kinetis K Series > K6x Family > K60D/PK60N512. Click Next. (Problem- there is no K6x family, and no processor called K60D/PK60N512)

4) In the Connections page, P&E USB BDM Multilink Universal [FX]/USB Multilink is set as the default connection. Click Next. (Problem- there is no Connections page)

5) In the Language and Build Tool Options page, set C in Languages page. Click Next. (Problem- there is no Language and Build Tool Options page)

6) In the Rapid Application Development page, select the Processor Expert from Rapid Application Development group and click Finish. (Problem- there is no Rapid Application Development page)

In short, the tutorial in the Processor Expert User Guide seems to be describing a completely different version of Processor Expert that what I have installed, unless I am just doing something wrong. Do I have the right version of Kinetis Design Studio? Do I have the right version of the Processor Expert User Guide? I got both of these from the Freescale website just a few days ago. Where can I find some step-by-step Processor Expert tutorials that actually work with the free version of Kinetis Design Studio IDE version 1.0.1 (beta)?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Keith:

The document PEXDRVSPEXUG.pdf is for Processor Expert Driver Suite, which is the standalone version of processor expert.

Kinetis Design Studio comes with Processor Expert preinstalled as a plugin, but the instructions to create a project are different. There must be a tutorial somewhere targeted to KDS, but right now here you have a series of steps to follow:

1) From KDS IDE, go to File -> New -> Kinetis Design Studio Project.

2) Give a name to your project and click on Next.

3) Select your device from the Processors menú (e.g. Processors -> Kinetis K -> MK60 -> MK60D (100MHz) -> MK60DN512xxx10). Click on Next.

4) Check the "Processor Expert" box. In "Project Mode" I recommend to select Standalone.

5) Click on Finish.

The project is then created. Next steps should be the same as in the tutorial you downloaded.

Once you are able to build the project, take a look at the next page for debugging purposes:

KDS Debug Configurations (OpenOCD, P&E, Segger)

If you experience any problems feel free to ask.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos