Information on the release date for the final version (or beta with integrated USB support)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information on the release date for the final version (or beta with integrated USB support)

Jump to solution
kora
Contributor II

I'm in the stage of evaluation some microprocessors and tools for a new product design and have been playing around with the Kinetis Design Studio (on Linux) and the Processor Expert integrated Kinetis SDK support and the Kinetis SDK standalone on a FRDM K64F board and am almost convinced by the solution.

Most of the functionality required for the product is already supported / integrated into Processor Expert but I'm missing USB support. I've been able to get a virtual serial connection over USB up and running by building the static USB library from the SDK manually and linking the library into my KDS project, but the process is a bit cumbersome and still needs a fair amount of work to integrate the USB stack properly into the SDK and FreeRTOS.

Since more than a month has passed since the beta release of the KDS and more than three month since the beta release of the KSDK presumably a lot of the work that I will have to do was already done by someone else. I was wondering if there are any plans for a second beta release or a RC before the official release "late summer 2014" that could safe me from doing the integration by myself.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

At the same time the GA (General Availability) version of the Kinetis SDK will be released. It comes with Kinetis Design Studio projects so will make everything much easier to start with.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The release date (version v1.1) is scheduled for the first week of August. So no second beta until then.

As for K64F+PEx USB: I planned to build a component for that, but have not completed that yet because of other priorities. I think this is what you are probably asking for?

Erich

neilhancock
Contributor IV

Hello Erich

I was wondering any status on K64F and USB. I really appreciate your answers elsewhere, so thought I would ask here :smileyhappy:

I've got the AN4905 "Crystal-less USB 48MHz on the K64" , and trying to relate it to the clocks set up by PEx and what is on the FRDM-K64F.

I'm wanting to prototype the USB OTG/HOST MSC and then also HOST CDC  depending what plugs in.

My final target processor would be the KL25/KL26 with USB microAB, and seems in the silicon USB revision 0x33 is the same between the K64 and KL25 - except for maybe the clocks, however all the L series have the 48MHz clock adjust capability.

The FRDM-K64F has the USB microAB female connector with ability to supply power, so I have a cable USB microA male to USB A female for testing the USB stick

The FRDM-KL25/KL26 has a USB mini- and I don't think that is specified to carry power, and I can't find a cable to do the conversion to USB A female. (I understood the USB mini to be non-standard)

So any insights or direction appreciated. Also enjoying browsing your blog and github.

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Neil,

the status is that with the Kinetis SDK V1.0.0, there is the USB stack (for the SDK) included with it, supporting the K64F.

So if your final processor is the KL25/KL26, then I suggest that you use the FRDM boards for it, and not the K64F. For sure the clocks are different, and they are critical for proper USB operation.

The later RevE board of the KL25Z board has the ability to provide power to the USB port, but this is not a 'protected' power supply.

See USB MSD Host for the FRDM-K20D50M Board | MCU on Eclipse

It is good for bench experiments, but not for a real host device.

If you have an older FRDM board, you can patch the board to operate in host mode (I did that in this in the post below to use it with a memory stick).

USB MSD Host for the Freedom Board | MCU on Eclipse

The USB mini is standard. To use the port e.g. with a memory stick you need one of the converter dongles or cables available on the market. I have used these in my post above.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
kora
Contributor II

Thank you for your fast reply. That's very good news - having a PE component for USB would be most welcome of course, and almost more than what I had hoped for.

So far it just seems that the USB stack in the KSDK is not well adapted to the GNU toolchain / the KDS, since all example projects are only available for IAR and I had to create my own makefile to compile it into a library that I can use (more or less reliably) within a KSDK project in KDS and I haven't even tried to use USB within a PE based project yet.

My initial hope was that with the final release of KDS the KSDK would also be delivered in a more mature stage of development that makes USB integration straight forward, if there's a component in the making even better :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

At the same time the GA (General Availability) version of the Kinetis SDK will be released. It comes with Kinetis Design Studio projects so will make everything much easier to start with.