cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

boot OS into normal world

Jump to solution
jackoneill
Contributor I

I’m currently experimenting with the TrustZone feature of the A8 of the imx53. My current goal is to just boot a OS into the normal world. For that purpose I modified u-boot such, that it executes a routine which grants the NW access to everything, meaning:

configuring the CSU:

- CSL0-31 to 0x00FF_00FF

- SA to 0x5555_5555 (0x1555_5555 is actually written)

configure the TZIC

- TZIC_INTSEC0-1 to 0xFFFF_FFFF

- TZIC_PRIORITY0-31 to 0x1F1F_1F1F

- TZIC_INTCTRL to 0x8001_0001

configure Nonsecure Access Control Register

- PLE=1 TL=1 CL=1 CP0-13=1 => 0x0007_3FFF (0x0007_0C00 is actually written)

configure Secure Configuration Register

- NS=1 IRQ=0 FIQ=0 EA=0 FW=1 AW=1 => 0x31

From what I can get out of the manuals (iMX53RM, IMX53SRM & A8 tech. man.) this should be sufficient to make the SW transparent to the NW. However, when u-boot inits the L2 cache the instruction „mcr 15, 1, r0, c9, c0, 2“ (Write L2 Cache Auxiliary Control Register) leads to a fault (not sure which, but when I halt the CPU via JTAG it is in ABORT mode).

So what am I missing during the configuration of the TZ elements?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
matthewsealey
Contributor II

Hi Heinz,

You aren't missing anything. The L2 Auxiliary Control register is only writable in Secure state.

Cortex-A8 Technical Reference Manual: 3.2.55. c9, L2 Cache Auxiliary Control Register

This is also true (if you pick up an i.MX6) for the L2C-310 control registers, if anyone is interested.

CoreLink Level 2 Cache Controller L2C-310 Technical Reference Manual: 3.2. Register summary

In both cases, if you wish to dynamically enable or disable, or otherwise configure the L2, you should implement a small Secure-world OS which handles SMC calls to perform those operations. There's no standard for a cache interface, but ARM does provide some calling conventions for secure monitors and one for power management purposes which you'd be encouraged to follow (there is a good region for "OEM" (that's you) and "SiP" (that's Freescale) call numbers).

SMC Calling Convention

Power State Coordination Interface (PSCI)

Hope that answers your questions.

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
matthewsealey
Contributor II

Hi Heinz,

You aren't missing anything. The L2 Auxiliary Control register is only writable in Secure state.

Cortex-A8 Technical Reference Manual: 3.2.55. c9, L2 Cache Auxiliary Control Register

This is also true (if you pick up an i.MX6) for the L2C-310 control registers, if anyone is interested.

CoreLink Level 2 Cache Controller L2C-310 Technical Reference Manual: 3.2. Register summary

In both cases, if you wish to dynamically enable or disable, or otherwise configure the L2, you should implement a small Secure-world OS which handles SMC calls to perform those operations. There's no standard for a cache interface, but ARM does provide some calling conventions for secure monitors and one for power management purposes which you'd be encouraged to follow (there is a good region for "OEM" (that's you) and "SiP" (that's Freescale) call numbers).

SMC Calling Convention

Power State Coordination Interface (PSCI)

Hope that answers your questions.

Matt

0 Kudos