Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Program Kinetis with P&E Multilink Universal for the First Time

Jump to solution
chiasyan
Contributor II

Hi,

I have created a custom board for Kinetis K20 but couldn't program it using the P&E Multilink (JTAG).

Untitled.png

At first, I was trying to "Erase Whole Device" in order to test the communication between the target and Multilink but there is an error message "Cannot enter background mode".

Then, I referred to the Multilink user guide and followed the steps provided:

1. First check for power on, then check to make sure the processor oscillator is running.
  2. Finally, look for the startup sequence for your microprocessor that is listed below.

a. RESET is driven low (to processor).

b. Activity appears on TCLK, TDI and TDO (PC software instructs the processor to enable debug mode).

c. RESET is released by the interface and will go high.

d. Activity appears on TCLK , TDI and TDO (Debug activity).

Here are the PROBLEMS:

1. My crystal osc (8MHz) is not running, there is no oscillation. (I came across one thread saying that MCG must be configured first)
  2. There is no activity for TDI and TDO.

SignalStatus
TCKhas activity
TDI

logic HIGH

TDOlogic LOW
TMShas activity
EZP_CS_blogic LOW
Reset_blogic LOW

Please help. Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I saw EZP_CS_b logic is LOW in your case, I think MCU has entered into EzPort Mode, in P&E USB-ML-UNIVERSAL, pin9 is tied to GND, so if you connected EZP_CS_b to pin9 as well, it would enter EzPort Mode instead of normal mode. Please kindly check you schematics of Debug interface connection.

Hope that helps,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I saw EZP_CS_b logic is LOW in your case, I think MCU has entered into EzPort Mode, in P&E USB-ML-UNIVERSAL, pin9 is tied to GND, so if you connected EZP_CS_b to pin9 as well, it would enter EzPort Mode instead of normal mode. Please kindly check you schematics of Debug interface connection.

Hope that helps,

0 Kudos