cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux 3.0.35 for iMX53

Jump to solution
Maddis
Contributor IV

We have been using Linux 2.6.35.3 on our iMX53 based device.

Now there is a need to test newer kernel if  it works better than current one since the current one has some problems that are said to be fixed on newer kernel. Problem is that it's not that easy to take in use the new kernel.

I was able to compile 3.0.35 for mx53-loco without any patches. If I add latest patches then there are lots of problems and lots of patches needs to be done by hand and I think that kernel is unusable. I took the patches from here: git://git.freescale.com/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git imx_3.0.35_12.10.02

Another problem is that the board-init - files are changed so much that majority of the settings done in our current file is unusable in the new kernel. For example our hw boots from sd-card, how do I define it in the 3.0.35 kernel? All I could fine was some supply regulator setup, but not setting up the sdhc-controller.

Is there any documentation for board-init - file? Or has someone gone from 2.6.35 to 3.0.35 with imx5? It seems that 3.0.35 is quite heavily targeted to mx6 since there are mx6 related things missing when trying to compile 3.0.35 with latest patches for mx5.

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
1 Solution
rogerio_silva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Kernel 3.0.35 from Freescale has patches for i.MX6, some patches for i.MX5 should be missing. Anyway, it wasn't tested on i.MX5.

I would try to use the mainline kernel (from www.kernel.org). The latest one is 3.8.2 and works fine on i.MX53.

It can miss some drivers that can exist only on Freescale kernel 2.6.35, but you can port it for 3.8.2 if needed.

Unfortunately we haven't updated the developer's guide (that should be the document you mentioned).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rogerio_silva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mc Maddie,

The branch git://git.freescale.com/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git imx_3.0.35_12.10.02 was tested only for i.MX6 family by now.

If you want a newer kernel for i.MX53, I suggest you to use Yocto to build kernel and rootfs and change the kernel from the default one to the mainline kernel.

Rgds

Rogerio

0 Kudos
Maddis
Contributor IV

Hi,

I got that impression that i.MX6 family was main target on that git-branch.

So the mainline 3.0.35 has sufficient support for i.MX53 to work out of the box without needing bunch of patches? Is that what you are trying to say? Of course it needs patching specific to our hw, but other than that.

We are currently using Buildroot to build our system and I really wouldn't like to change it unless there is good reason for that.

One thing that is still missing is the instructions/documentation how to do the same things in 3.0.35 board_init what's done in 2.6.35 since it seems that everything has changed and for example I couldn't find how to configure SD-card in use.

0 Kudos
rogerio_silva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Kernel 3.0.35 from Freescale has patches for i.MX6, some patches for i.MX5 should be missing. Anyway, it wasn't tested on i.MX5.

I would try to use the mainline kernel (from www.kernel.org). The latest one is 3.8.2 and works fine on i.MX53.

It can miss some drivers that can exist only on Freescale kernel 2.6.35, but you can port it for 3.8.2 if needed.

Unfortunately we haven't updated the developer's guide (that should be the document you mentioned).

0 Kudos