cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX53 kernel headers are missing

Swamy
Contributor III

Hello,

I am trying to build a module in IMX53 where it is looking for /usr/src/2.6.35.3-744-g27fdf7b/....But I am not able to locate any source header files in this path. could you please suggest me where can I find?

#uname -r

2.6.35.3-744-g27fdf7b

#uname -a

Linux lucid-desktop 2.6.35.3-744-g27fdf7b #1 PREEMPT Thu Jan 27 15:10:16 CST 201
1 armv7l GNU/Linux

Thanks in advance for support

Swamy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

Swamy
Contributor III

Yes I have completely copied the rootfs directory from LTIB directory to / of the board. I think I may be missing to include some check when configuring LTIB.

What I see in /usr/src/ of target board is: /usr/src/linux/include in which I see,

root@freescale /usr/src/linux/include$ ls
asm          drm          mtd          scsi         video
asm-generic  linux        rdma         sound        xen

But I dont see any headers or gcc seen.

Regards,

Swamy

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Have you copied the /usr/src and gcc from LTIB rootfs to ubuntu rootfs?
0 Kudos

Prabhuram
Contributor I
Compile the module against your imx 53 kernel source code, use -c and option followed by the path to kernel source , i think that should solve your problem ....
0 Kudos

Swamy
Contributor III

Sorry for the confusion. I want gcc to be seen in the board (IMX.53) which is currently missing. Also I want linux-headers (2.6.35.3-744-g27fdf7b) under /usr/src/.

This will be helpful for me to build the module. Please let me know what are the necessary packages I need to install to have these.

Regards,

Swamy

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

When you use LTIB to build the kernel, any file will be placed into <ltib>/rootfs

That´s why you don´t see the file you want into your ubuntu rootfs.

Sorry, I don´t understand. Do you want to see gcc in ubuntu on your board? Or in ubuntu on your PC?

If you want it in ubuntu, please sudo apt-get install gcc (and it will take the properly gcc binary for your arch)

Do you really need the module? It cannot be built in?

0 Kudos

Swamy
Contributor III

Request you to please guide.

Regards,

Swamy

0 Kudos

Swamy
Contributor III
After selecting "Make" in package list, still I am not able to see the linux-headers (2.6.35.3-744-g27fdf7b) under /usr/src/ Also I am not able to see the gcc...It says, $ which gcc which: no gcc in (/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin) Other informations.... $ which make /usr/bin/make $ uname -a Linux freescale 2.6.35.3-744-g27fdf7b #6 PREEMPT Fri Sep 9 05:51:11 PDT 2011 arm v7l GNU/Linux Please suggest.
0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Please, tell us the result.

Swamy said:

Actually I was using a demo image which comes with IMX.53 Eval board and in that I was not able to locate the kernel headers under /usr/src/ . Now I am using LTIB to build the kernel (currently compiling) where in I have selected FSL gnome release packages (need display) and also selected Include kernel headers...I hope this will resolve the issue of kernel headers missing. Please suggest.

Regards

Swamy

0 Kudos

Swamy
Contributor III

Actually I was using a demo image which comes with IMX.53 Eval board and in that I was not able to locate the kernel headers under /usr/src/ . Now I am using LTIB to build the kernel (currently compiling) where in I have selected FSL gnome release packages (need display) and also selected Include kernel headers...I hope this will resolve the issue of kernel headers missing. Please suggest.

Regards

Swamy

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Do you have the kernel?

Why don´t you configure all modules you need to be builtin?

Daiane

0 Kudos

Swamy
Contributor III

Thanks for the reply. Infact I am not seeing any kernel headers under /usr/src. Please suggest me how to fetch it which is specific to IMX53. Currently I am using a demo image package of IMX53 in which i am not seeing any kernel headers under /usr/src.

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Are you using the right version of rootfs and kernel?

kernel looks for driver under /usr/src/2.6.35.3-744-g27fdf7b/ because you are using #uname -r = 2.6.35.3-744-g27fdf7b

You should see what is the name for your /usr/src/2.6.35.x-xxxxx and use the same kernel.

You can also configure your module to be builtin. In this case, kernel will never "look for" this driver.

0 Kudos