Minimum tools for HCS08 chips

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum tools for HCS08 chips

OldMan
Contributor I

I intend to try HCS08 family of chips and start with a “M68DEMO908GB60” demo board. I do have PC with editor, Multi-meter, Oscilloscope, soldering iron, etc. My question is, at a minimum, what else do I need?

I only intend to write a few KB of code and I can use assembler (but c compiler is okay with me too). What do I need at a minimum?

I will also need to load the code generated by the assembler (or compiler) into the Flash memory of the chip (but breakpoint, single step etc. are okay with me too).  The demo board has a BDM port and my PC has USB, parallel, as well as serial ports. What do I need at a minimum?

Sorry to bother everyone with such trivial questions. I searched but could not find a definitive answer.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
This is the best deal going:
DEMO9S08QG8E
You can buy right on the freescale website for 50.00.
It has a full P&E USB BDM that will also work just fine with HCS12.
The BDM does everything the 99.00 P&E unit does. Just solder on a 6 pin header, pull the HCS08 chip out and you got it.

Not to mention a nice HCS08QGB dev board as well.

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=DEMO9S08QG8&tid=tmss
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Ahh... I did already mention this, the DEMOQG.

One caveat though, the price attractiveness drops away in a hurry unless you live in Nth America.

The landed cost was so close to a proper P&E one for me that I didn't go ahead. That and the fact I already had a "home brew" DEMOQG8 using a free sample.

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
Well, just so there is no misunderstanding, it IS a P&E BDM on the board. Same one as in the P&E pod, just no plastic case.

I bought the P&E for 99.00 as I started off with HCS12. It's back in it's box now and I use the DEMOQG in it's place as it takes up less bench space. In any event, I would spend the 99.00 no problem again if I did't know about this board - well worth it.

Is it duty or shipping that doubles the price?

If duty, is the US or your country?
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Actually I believe the BDM in the DEMO board is slightly customised for the reset-less QG. But it may come back to "exactly the same" when you use it through the 6 pin header???

The problem is mainly the shipping/courier and the risk of GST being applied as it comes in to the country.

0 Kudos

albertvv
Contributor I
Your GST mention suggests you're in Aus. In NZ we would never pay GST on such tricial amounts. But the mailing costs from the USA are horrendous compared to any other country, I've never understood why; you can send it the other way around for less than half. I just bought a $5-book, plus $15 shipping????
0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
Well, when I hook up the 6 pin to my HCS12 boards, it plays fine.
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi OldMan,
At a minimum you need a BDM pod, to convert USB to BDM, a piece of hardware.
See P&E Micro's USB-ML-12.
Then you can download Codewarrior 5.1 for free from here. (Assembler/Compiler/debugger etc)
The DEMO908GB60 is out of production AFAIK.
You may be better off (cheaper) with a QG demo board as it includes the BDM pod on board and total cost is half of a pod. (Or an AW one, see other current thread here.)
There is no clear answer to this. Does minimum mean minimum money? Codewarrior may cost you as its a huge download.

Anyway some ideas for you.

Regards
Peg

0 Kudos

joerg
Contributor II
Hi Oldman

I think you need the codewarrier 5.1 plus a BDM interface like OSBDM. If you can make PCB at your own it cost only the componets, the schematics can be found in this forum or at my home page. Then for programming the application in assembler or C you ready. If you have to deal with a lot of timing, you may have a look at my simple OS (also on my homepage; called EBS08) there is a GB60 ready version of it and also the first part of a tutorial.

Saluti Joerg
0 Kudos

eckhard
Contributor V
Hello,

the absolute minimum should be Gabriel Dubattis BDM loader http://www.ingdubatti.com.ar/index.htm?bdmloader.htm .
But QSBDM and CW Special edition offers a lot more comfort.

Eckhard
0 Kudos

OldMan
Contributor I
Thanks for all the tips. You guys are great!

I ordered the QG demo board. According to the description, it includes all I asked for. CW software included. But when I placed the order, it says "hardware only". I will have to wait and see. I may have to download CW with my 21.6 kbps dial-up. Good luck, old man!

0 Kudos

UcTechnoGeek
Contributor II
Sorry to mention it again, but www.witztronics.com also has a $49 HCS08 BDM.

uCTechnoGeek
0 Kudos