cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

program/burn data into flash on MC9S08GB60

priyanto
Contributor II
Hi All,

I'm beginner with Freescale, just got my M68DEMO908GB60 eval board and installed CodeWarrior IDE v. 5.7.0 on my PC. I use USB P&E Multilink HCS08/HCS12 connection to its BDM port.

Now I want to program or burn 16K data into flash at certain address. We use Intel-hex format. This data will be accessed from my program later on. How can I program this data using CodeWarrior IDE and USB Multilink? Do I need additional tool or software?

Thanks for your response.

Regards,
bpriyanto.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi priyanto,

If you convert your data to Motorola S-record format, you can use "Expert Programmer Mode" to programme it into the device after the code was loaded.

Regards David

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi priyanto,

To add to my previous post...

If you run the hiwave component of Codewarrior (hiwave.exe in the prog directory of your codewarrior installation) you can actually load a Intel/Hex file in there and then presumably programme it into the device (not tried by me). This is by using menu "MultilinkCyclonePro\Load..."

But from your original post I think you want to develop a programme in Codewarrior but then use a data file developed elsewhere that is stored in Intel/Hex format. (Is this correct).

The problem is Codewarrior insists you are too stupid to control partial downloads yourself and so erases before downloading.

You can get around this by developing and programming as normal then when done use "MultilinkCyclonePro\Start Expert Mode Programmer..."
Now you can use the SS command to load a S19 version of your data then use PM to programme it to the device whilst leaving other areas untouched. (This presumes you are clever enough not to try to programme non-blank areas of FLASH).

Hope this helps
Regards David

0 Kudos

priyanto
Contributor II
Hi David,

Thanks for your information. Everything you mentioned for Data Flash Programming works fine on my system with 9S08GB60. Now I'm looking for software tool that can convert data bytes into S19 format for HCS08 family microcontrollers. Finally I will use MC9S08GT60, but for development I use the demo board M68DEMO908GB60. Thanks again for your input.

Regards,
-priyanto
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hi priyanto,

There is nothing target specific contained with in S-records.

It only describes where to put what value with no regard to what type of memory is there or whether there is any at all!

Some type of target specific converter may check memory bounds and tell you about it though.

If you Google for it you will find heaps of them.

Regards David

0 Kudos

priyanto
Contributor II

Hi David,

I really appreciate your response. Yes, I actually developing code using CodeWarrior v5.0, and somewhere in my code would accesss config data (programmed into the flash separately). Currently, we use Intel-hex format for the data. Btw, we only have P&E USB Multilink, not Cyclone Pro Flash Programmer. The flash commands like SS, PM, etc are provided by Flash Programmer such as Cyclone Pro which is more expensive. P&E also provides Flash Programming S/W (PROGxxZ) and presumably works with my P&E USB Multilink. I'm not sure if this is enough for my development needs. Thanks for your inputs.

-priyanto.

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hi priyanto,

All of the above information works with the USB Multilink. If you only talk to one device and have a computer then there is no need for cyclone. The menu item name in Codewarrior may have confused you, it is for both the Multilink and the Cyclone (Pro).

If you are happy to develop in CW enviroment then buying the P&E software is of no benefit. I bought the software and am currently complaining to them that the components given away within CW are better than the ones I paid for. (QG 9-bit trim support for example).

Regards David

0 Kudos

priyanto
Contributor II

Hi David,

Thanks for your advice. As you mentioned, first I use the CW and P&E USB Multilink to do my code development and download it to the device. Then, second, I can use SS and PM commands to download the data separately to the device. How can I use P&E USB Multilink to perform this second operation? As far as your explanation, I don't need additonal tool or software. Again, thanks for your inputs.

-priyanto.

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hi,

I am not sure what you are concerned about now.

Everything is done using Codewarrior/Hiwave and the USB Multilink.

The P&E programming/BDM access software is built in to hiwave.

Here is a little data file in s19 for you to try. (I tested it using this on top of an example programme from within CW5.

Give it a go!

Regards David

0 Kudos

priyanto
Contributor II

Hi David,

From the CW directory, I go to /prog directory, and execute "hiwave" command. It brings up the usual True Simulator & Real-Time Debugger.  Then from File/Load Application menu, I choose the File type (Motorola or Intel) to download. Is it correct? I cannot find the Flash commands or can control the destination address where I want my data to be located in the flash. Again thanks for your input.

-priyanto.

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hi,

If you check my second post here it says to use the MultilinkCyclonePro menu.

If you haven't got this menu go to Component|Set Connection.

Select HCS08 and Multilink here.

Now you should have the menu and can continue.

Regards David

Message Edited by peg on 2006-06-12 01:17 PM

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hi,

Motorola S19 files contain the destination address within the file and sometimes you can apply offsets but AFAIK not here. I know nothing about Intel/Hex format except that it is a competitive format to Mot S.

David

0 Kudos

Nabla69
Contributor V

Hi guys,

Just two pence worth, but have you used "SRecord Converter Software" tool ?

Cheers,
Alvin.

0 Kudos

priyanto
Contributor II

Hi Alvin,

I haven't used the tool you mentioned, but I just downloaded the SRecord Converter Software tool from freescale. It is only for HCS12 family microcontroller. We use HCS08 family. I'm not sure if there's also software for HCS08 family.

Regards,

-priyanto.

0 Kudos