Field Return dependency on OCOTP Module clock in MPU and MCU devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overview:

The entry to the Field-Return configuration on a secure enabled device requires specific steps to be performed. On certain devices, the field-return configuration operates differently than currently described in the Security Reference Manual. The FIELD_RETURN fuse is protected by the FIELD_RETURN_LOCK sticky bit in the OCOTP_CTRL fuse controller. This requires the OCOTP module clock to be enabled to set the sticky bit

Before leaving the boot ROM, the FIELD_RETURN_LOCK bit is set as long as the OCOTP clock has been enabled in the initial bootloader either via DCD or plugin method), so that the FIELD_RETURN fuse cannot be burned. 

If the OCOTP module clock is not enabled then the FIELD RETURN behavior does not operate as described. In addition, if the device is configured in Serial Downloader Mode (SDP) the OCOTP module clock is not enabled on certain devices hence the Field Return Mode functionality does not operate as described.

Expected Field Return behavior:

Chip StateOCOTP ClockFIELD RETURN Sticky Bit

SRK REVOKE 

Sticky Bit

OCOTP_SW_STICKY
value
Comments
Open (SEC_CONFIG[1] = 0)Disabled Disabled Disabled 0x18No Unlock FIELD RETURN
No Unlock SRK REVOKE
Open (SEC_CONFIG[1] = 0)Enabled Enabled Disabled 0x1CNo Unlock FIELD RETURN
No Unlock SRK REVOKE
Closed (SEC_CONFIG[1] = 1)Disabled Disabled Disabled 0x18No Unlock FIELD RETURN
No Unlock SRK REVOKE
Closed (SEC_CONFIG[1] = 1)Enabled Enabled Enabled 0x1ENo Unlock FIELD RETURN
No Unlock SRK REVOKE
Open (SEC_CONFIG[1] = 0)Disabled Disabled Disabled 0x18Unlock FIELD RETURN
Unlock SRK REVOKE
Open (SEC_CONFIG[1] = 0)Enabled Disabled Disabled 0x18Unlock FIELD RETURN
Unlock SRK REVOKE
Closed (SEC_CONFIG[1] = 1)Disabled Disabled Disabled 0x18Unlock FIELD RETURN
Unlock SRK REVOKE
Closed (SEC_CONFIG[1] = 1)Enabled Disabled Disabled 0x18Unlock FIELD RETURN
Unlock SRK REVOKE

Fixes:

1. Updated ROM:

Certain devices such as i.MX 6SLL, i.MX 6UL, i.MX 7S/D, i.MX 8M, i.MX 8MM enable the FIELD RETURN and SRK REVOKE sticky bits in Serial Downloader Mode(SDP) boot mode. Future NPIs will incorporate similar functionality.

2. Software Patches to keep OCOTP Module Clocks Enabled

U-boot patches developed to enable OCOTP clock in DCD/Plugin. All customers should ensure these patches are in place to ensure the clock to the OCOTP module is enabled.

Patches in CodeAurora :

1. uboot-imx - i.MX U-Boot 

2. uboot-imx - i.MX U-Boot  

Security Implications

• As long as the OCOTP clock has been enabled, the FIELD RETURN functions as documented.
  • In the development process where DCD/Plugin is not yet executed to enable OCOTP clock and JTAG is connected, it may be possible to program the FIELD RETURN fuse.
No ratings
Version history
Last update:
‎06-17-2020 05:59 AM
Updated by: