cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMXRT1060 QSPI size increase

EmbeddedTech
Contributor III

Hi,

We are using iMXRT1060 in our board. We replaced the external QSPI flash from 64Mb to 512Mb. After this I am facing the issue of Hard fault error in the SystemInit. May I know what changes I should do in the code when I replace the QSPI flash of bigger size.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @EmbeddedTech 

I would recommend checking the Look up table (LUT)  for your new memory. Since I do not know if the bigger size flash uses, for example,  the same R/W OP codes. 

Then, check the linker and the MPU settings. Adapt the linker to fit your new flash and make sure that the MPU initialization covers the flash region. This step may depend on your application and may or not have impact, but is good to consider this. Try running simplest demo available, for example, the led_blinky.

It sounds that you are trying to boot and execute from this memory, let now otherwise. We have the MCUXpresso Secure Provisioning Tool, with this tool you could generate and write  a bootable image.  As another suggestion : build a led blinky sample image , provided by the tool, and check results.

diego_charles_0-1718038610027.png

The tool does not consider flash size, but you can customize flash settings. The advantage of this is that you can skip first recommendation of checking the LUT, since the tool generates and writes a "generic" flash configuration, including the LUT. 

diego_charles_1-1718038645654.png

That is all I can think for now, if there is another detail to consider, about your new flash, let me know.

I hope this could help you.

Diego

0 Kudos

EmbeddedTech
Contributor III

Hi @diego_charles,

I already tried flashing the simple iled_blinky example yesterday and had the same Hardfault error. 

In our old board we were using IS25WP064A and now we have replaced with IS25LP512M-JLLE.

I tried the same iled_blinky code in our previous board and it worked ok.

I debugged and found that the Hardfault occured at the instruction in the attached image. The address of the DataTable1 was shown as 0x8800 0ed0.

Whereas in the working old board the address of the DataTable1 was 0xe000 ed88.

In the Startup code, the address loaded to register is 0xE000ED08.

Reset_Handler
CPSID I ; Mask interrupts
LDR R0, =0xE000ED08
LDR R1, =__vector_table
STR R1, [R0]
LDR R2, [R1]
MSR MSP, R2
LDR R0, =SystemInit
BLX R0
CPSIE I ; Unmask interrupts
LDR R0, =__iar_program_start
BX R0

Can you infer something from the above? Why is the address loaded different in two boards?

Thanks for your help in advance.

0 Kudos

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @EmbeddedTech 

Thank you for your patience.

According to my understanding:

The 0xE000ED08 is the VTOR register on the M7 CPU. This is normally used on SDK examples. 

diego_charles_0-1718827051529.png

According to the ARM Cortex M7 documentation the register at 0xE000ED88 ( Coprocessor Access Control Register) belongs to the FPU. Below an example.  However, I do not why your application uses this register.

diego_charles_1-1718827097067.png

The 0xE000ED08  is used accross SDK examples, so I think this address is ok. 

You let me know that you had failures when running the Led_blinky demo. But what are your modifications to run this demo? Did you used the MCUXpresso Secure Provisioning Tool to generate and load a bootable image or did you modified the XIP folder in your project?

Thank you very much for your patience. Please let me know if you find anything else in the meantime.

Diego

0 Kudos

EmbeddedTech
Contributor III

Hi @diego_charles ,

Thank you for your reply. I found that the issue with the Hardfault was due to the DQS pin was not left floating in our new hardware. I understand that the DQS pin need to be left floating for proper functioning of the flexspi communication. After I changed the DQS loopback mode to internal and reduce the frequency setting to 60Mhz in the flexspi_nor_config file I was able to run the code successfully.

We have changed out external QSPI flash from 8MB to 64MB. I would like to know what changes I need to do in order to access the full range of Address. Will the current flexspi driver in the sdk work as such for this flash?

Thanks for your help in advance.

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @EmbeddedTech 

Thank you for letting me know! Yes, DQS pin is particularly important! Congratulations for getting your memory working. 

For now, and generally speaking,  I do not see any adaptation to use your 64 MB flash, except than increasing the size of the flash in the linker file. Beware that mass erase using a debugger an IDE will take now much longer.

I think that FlexSPI driver should work with this memory, but I do not have a way to  guarantee if I  am not able to test , please test it on your side and if you encounter and issue where we can help reach us again. 

All the best, 

Diego

0 Kudos

EmbeddedTech
Contributor III

Hi @diego_charles,

Thank you for your support. Regarding the 64MB flash, I will test on my side and see if the existing driver works without any issues.

Thanks for your help.

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @EmbeddedTech 

You are welcome and thanks for letting me know, good luck with the testing!

All the best.

Diego

0 Kudos