i.MXRT117F - unable to run program from flash, debugger stuck at addresses 0x2015f2 and 0x223104

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MXRT117F - unable to run program from flash, debugger stuck at addresses 0x2015f2 and 0x223104

transistor32
Contributor III

I'm having trouble getting a program to run on a custom board based around the MIMXRT117FCVM8A. Please could someone help?

I'm trying to run the evkmimxrt1170_igpio_led_output_cm7 and snl_vizn3d_iot_iled_blinky_cm7 projects with limited success. Both these projects have been modified to use the GPIO assignment used for the LED on my board, but are otherwise original. I have tried modifying the RAM entries in the memory configuration but I haven't been able to run the code from Flash. The evkmimxrt1170_igpio_led_output_cm7 project works if I remove the flash entry from the memory map, and in this case the program runs from SRAM.

I've seen some previous posts which suggested that the addresses 0x2015f2 and 0x223104 are purely a debugger issue, and that the code would run from flash without a debugger, but in my case it doesn't run from flash without the debugger either.

Some information about my hardware:

Flash: IS25LP128-JBLE

SDRAM: W9825G6KH

Oscillators: 24MHz crystal, 32.768kHz crystal

I am using a JTAG connection and have an NXP MCULink and a Segger J-Link; the problem is the same with both.

I don't currently have an i.MXRT1170 dev board so I'm not able to try running the exact same project on the dev board, as I have an i.MXRT1160 dev board.

Flash is connected as follows:

Flash CLK - FlexSPI_A_CLK

G14

Flash CS - FlexSPI_A_SS0

F17

Flash IO0 - FlexSPI_A_D0

F15

Flash IO1 - FlexSPI_A_D1

H15

Flash IO2 - FlexSPI_A_D2

H14

Flash IO3 - FlexSPI_A_D3

F16

The BT_CFG pins are needed for other functions, so I am using Boot from Fuses by setting the BOOT_MODE pins to 00. I've used a DIP switch on the BOOT_MODE pins so that I can also access the Serial Downloader (USB). I've used NXP MCU Boot Utility to set fuse 0x960[4] (BT_FUSE_SEL) to 1 and I've left all other fuses in their default state. I believe this should be the correct configuration to boot from an external QSPI Flash on FLEXSPIA, and activity is seen on the Flash pins when resetting the board.

The various configuration pins are connected as shown in the table below on my board. I wouldn't expect the BOOT_CFG pins to matter if I'm using boot from fuses, but I've included them in the table below for reference.

Function

My board

U10 - ONOFF

10k to VDD_SNVS_ANA

T8 - WAKEUP

10k to VDD_SNVS_ANA

T10 - POR

Active low reset

T9 - PMIC_STBY_REQ

Floating

U9 - PMIC_ON_REQ

10k to VDD_SNVS_ANA

T11 - TEST_MODE

GND

T7, P6 - BOOT_MODE

00 (boot from fuses) (connected to DIP switch)

C9 - BOOT_CFG[11]

Floating

C7 - BOOT_CFG[10]

Floating

D7 - BOOT_CFG[9]

Pulled down

E9 - BOOT_CFG[8]

Pulled down

F8 - BOOT_CFG[7]

Pulled up

E8 - BOOT_CFG[6]

Pulled up

A14 - BOOT_CFG[5]

Pulled up

B14 - BOOT_CFG[4]

Pulled up

C13 - BOOT_CFG[3]

Pulled up

A15 - BOOT_CFG[2]

Pulled up

E12 - BOOT_CFG[1]

Floating

D10 - BOOT_CFG[0]

Floating

Power rails are as below:

Pin

My board

R12 - VDD_LPSR_IN

3V3

J13 - VDDA_ADC_3P3

3V3

G16 - ADC_VREFH

1V8

K15 - VDDA_ADC_1P8

1V8

M11 - VDDA_1P8_IN

1V8

M5, N5, L5 - DCDC_IN

3V3

M7, M8, M6 - DCDC_ANA (out)

1V8

K8, K9, L8, L7 - DCDC_DIG (out)

VDD_SOC (1V)

H8, H9, H10, J8, J9, J10, K10 - VDD_SOC_IN

VDD_SOC (1V)

F7, F6, G6 - NVCC_EMC1

3V3

H6, J6 - NVCC_EMC2

3V3

P7 - NVCC_LPSR

3V3

M12 - NVCC_GPIO

3V3

D12 - NVCC_DISP1

3V3

E7 - NVCC_DISP2

3V3

D14 - NVCC_SD1

3V3

G13 - NVCC_SD2

3V3

F9 - VDD_MIPI_1P8

1V8

F10 - VDD_MIPI_1P0

1V (from VDD_SOC)

U12 - VDD_SNVS_IN

3V3

U11 - NVCC_SNVS

VDD_SNVS_ANA

H12 - VDD_USB_1P8

1V8

G12 - VDD_USB_3P3

3V3

The Flash appears to be getting programmed with data after trying to run a debug session. I can read it back with NXP MCU Boot Utility and see what looks like all the expected blocks of data:

1. 0x30000400 - starts "FCFB", FlexSPI Configuration Blocks
  2. 0x30001000 to 0x3000102B - starts with 0xD1 as the first byte, IVT header
  3. 0x30002000 to 0x300090f0 - the start of this section looks like an ARM startup file
  4. 0x30010000 to 0x30082490 - looks like program code

Attached is the current memory map that I'm using and all the fuse values.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

transistor32
Contributor III

After continuing to work on the problem a bit longer, I have found the solution.

snl_vizn3d_iot_iled_blinky_cm7 didn't work from either flash or RAM because I hadn't updated all the pin definitions correctly. The program did run, the problem was only the GPIO assignment, so it didn't appear to do anything.

For evkmimxrt1170_igpio_led_output_cm, I started again from scratch with a fresh SDK example (evkmimxrt1170_lvgl_demo_widgets_cm7) and found that it worked both from Flash and RAM too. I rebuilt and debugged the project after every small change to find out what broke the project. The project stopped working from Flash when I used the SDK manager to add some libraries (specifically PWM and XBARA, but that might not be significant).

The SDK manager changed some defines in the .cproject file. In particular:

Changed XIP_BOOT_HEADER_DCD_ENABLE=1 to XIP_BOOT_HEADER_DCD_ENABLE=0
Changed LV_CONF_INCLUDE_SIMPLE=1 to LV_CONF_INCLUDE_SIMPLE
Added XIP_BOOT_HEADER_XMCD_ENABLE=1

Reverting these defines back to their original values made the project work from Flash, so it looks like there is a problem with the SDK manager.

I also note that the SDK manager adds some duplicates to the file path lists in the .cproject file, which prevents the project from building due to linker errors until the duplicates are removed. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, is the SDK manager broken for everyone? I'm using MCUXpresso IDE v11.6.0 [Build 8187] [2022-07-13].

0 Kudos

PabloAvalos
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear @transistor32 

Thanks a lot for reaching our technical support. I really appreciate you were so patient.

It is good to us to know that you could solved the issue by updating pin definition and starting SDK example again.

Regarding the issue with the SDK manager, I think it is a bug on that one. I will let my development team know to fix it for next release of MCUXpresso version and SDK version. Also, note that MCUXpresso v11.6.1 is now available, please try to run your project on this one to see if the issue persists.

Thanks a lot for your time and explanation on how you solved the problem. It is pretty useful to whom it has the same issue. Please let me know if you have any additional comment or concern I can help you with.

Best Regards.
Pablo Avalos.

0 Kudos