Put RT1170-EVK in "ISP USB" mode for MCU-Link installer to update JLINK or DAP firmware ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Put RT1170-EVK in "ISP USB" mode for MCU-Link installer to update JLINK or DAP firmware ?

Jump to solution
EdOfTheMountain
Contributor III

How do you put RT1170-EVK into "ISP USB mode" in order to update MCU-Link firmware?

My goal was to compare JLINK versus CMSIS-DAP debugger functionality under MCUXpresso.

Thanks in advance,

-Ed

MCU-Link update to JLINK

EdOfTheMountain_0-1647013903749.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
EdOfTheMountain
Contributor III

@jingpanI I understand now.  Thank you for the solution.

The following links and app notes apply to both the RT10xx and RT1170 EVK boards, except '''J22''' is the RT1170-EVK equivalent DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) jumper to '''J42''' on RT1060-EVK.

U24 chip found on the RT1170 EVK board is a LPC4322 microcontroller implementing the debug probe and can be programmed using LPCScrypt v2.1.2

I now have my RT 1170 EVK detecting as a JLINK debugger under MCUXpresso.

Thank you for your patience and assistance.

-Ed

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @EdOfTheMountain ,

Please refer to AN13206.

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN13206.pdf

Regards,

Jing

EdOfTheMountain
Contributor III

H Jing,

The app note is for the i.MX RT10xx boards.

I am using the i.MX RT1170 EVK board.  

Can you please help me with the MIMXRT1070-EVK ?

The AN13206 app note refers to J42 on MIMXRT1060-EVK, to force DFU boot mode.  The MIMXRT1070-EVK does not have a J42?

Can MCU-Link installer for Windows 10 be used with MIMXRT1070-EVK ?

https://www.nxp.com/design/microcontrollers-developer-resources/mcu-link-debug-probe:MCU-LINK#t996

Thank you,

-Ed

0 Kudos
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @EdOfTheMountain ,

I think they are same. The jumper on RT1170-EVK is J22.

Can MCU-Link installer for Windows 10 be used with MIMXRT1070-EVK ?

Yes.

Regards,

Jing

0 Kudos
EdOfTheMountain
Contributor III

Hi @jingpan 

RT1170-EVK J22 did not work for me?

Can you please help determine what I am doing wrong?

What I have tried:

1) I downloaded and installed MCU-Link installer for Windows 10

2) Power-off RT 1170 EVK, disconnect USB cable from Windows Host (J11 on EVK board)

3) Run Program MCU-LINK JLINK, and the program displays:

Place the board in ISP USB mode using the appropriate jumper on your MCU-Link.

Refer to the board documentation for more information.

Connect board via USB then press Space.

Press any key to continue . . .

4) I installed bridge jumper on RT 1170 EVK board J22 as you suggested.

5) Connect USB cable to Windows Host (J11 on EVK board)

6) Press space to continue, 

7) Program continues to prompt "Configure board for ISP mode and connect via USB then press Space.
Press any key to continue . . ."

See screenshot below:

EdOfTheMountain_0-1647355213924.png

See picture of my EVK board MIMXRT1170-EVK

EdOfTheMountain_3-1647356592360.png

Where can find documentation for EVK jumpers and "ISP Mode" found for RT 1170 EVK?

Thank you for your help

-Ed

0 Kudos
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @EdOfTheMountain ,

You used wrong tool. MCUlink is LPC55S69 core. You should use LPCScrypt. Please read that application notes.

Regards,

Jing

0 Kudos
EdOfTheMountain
Contributor III

@jingpanI I understand now.  Thank you for the solution.

The following links and app notes apply to both the RT10xx and RT1170 EVK boards, except '''J22''' is the RT1170-EVK equivalent DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) jumper to '''J42''' on RT1060-EVK.

U24 chip found on the RT1170 EVK board is a LPC4322 microcontroller implementing the debug probe and can be programmed using LPCScrypt v2.1.2

I now have my RT 1170 EVK detecting as a JLINK debugger under MCUXpresso.

Thank you for your patience and assistance.

-Ed

0 Kudos
brendonslade
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I wanted to put a clarifying note about the i.MX RT1170 EVKs here.

There are two different eval boards for this processor with different order numbers, and they have different debug probes. Both can run a CMSIS-DAP based image from NXP or an evaluation version of J-Link from SEGGER:

• MIMXRT1070-EVK: the original product, which has an LPC4322 based debug probe. This one is labelled "Freelink" on the schematic (page 26). This circuit is basically the same as the "LPC-Link2" circuit used on other i.MX RT and LPC products, although it also has an additional mechanism to control the power to the target after the debug probe boots. This board shipped with a debug probe firmware version based on OpenSDA, which gives drag-drop programming but doesnt support SWO and is slower than the other two options. To switch to J-Link or the faster "LPC-Link2" image refer to this app note  its the same one @EdOfTheMountain correctly points to here.

• MIMXRT1170-EVKB: the new product (which is replacing the original), has MCU-Link (https://nxp.com/mcu-link). To switch the firmware on this board between the default CMSIS-DAP image and J-link use the MCU-Link update scripts found either on the MCU-Link page (MCU-Link installer) or install the LinkServer utility which also includes it (I'd recommend the latter, because LinkServer is a pretty handy utility for flashing your board from the command line without needing an IDE). Before running the utility insert JP3 and power cycle the board, and once programming is completed remove JP3 and power cycle again.

0 Kudos