cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIMXRT1170-EVK trace hw no present

Jump to solution
wangfan_1987
Contributor I

When I am trying to optimise my program use the ETM port on the MlMXRT1170-EVK board, we have removed the resistor R1862 R1863 R1864 R1865 R1923 and mount the R1881 R1882 R1883 R1884 R1885 R1886,our ETM device is ulinkpro and our develop enviroment is KEIL 5.33.0,I config the debug configuratioin following the AN12437.When disable the trace Enable in the trace config,just use debug with SWD,it works normally,but when I enable the trace Enable,if push the debug button ,I get a problem as the picture. Is there something I missed,or there should be other config I should do?

thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @wangfan_1987 ,

Please refer to this post. https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/MIMXRT1170-EVK-How-to-enable-instruction-trace-on-the-RT1170/td...

But to Keil and Ulink pro, NXP provide DFP for RT1170, but NXP do not have experience for trace feature SDF file generation. So, it seems you can't use Ulink pro to trace RT1170.

I'm sorry for that.

Regards,

Jing

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
wangfan_1987
Contributor I

@giraffe508 thanks for your fast reply,I will do all the check as your advise.

there are two things I want to make sure:

1.The ulinkpro's 20pin connector,the pin7 was plugged for the purpose of  "serves only as a key to properly orient the connector ". But on the MIMXRT1170-EVK the 20pin SWD+ETM connector the pin7 is mounted.So I removed the pin7 in the picture as attechment.Can the ETM work normally in this station?

2.I tryed to find the  'ULINK Pro Configuration'  to update the ULINKpro firmware,but it seemed there is not such interface.Is there another way to update the firmware?

Thanks

0 Kudos
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @wangfan_1987 ,

Please refer to this post. https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/MIMXRT1170-EVK-How-to-enable-instruction-trace-on-the-RT1170/td...

But to Keil and Ulink pro, NXP provide DFP for RT1170, but NXP do not have experience for trace feature SDF file generation. So, it seems you can't use Ulink pro to trace RT1170.

I'm sorry for that.

Regards,

Jing

0 Kudos
wangfan_1987
Contributor I

Thanks for your reply,it is very helpful.

Considering our code scale is so big,optimise the project is a big work.I think I still need to find a way to use ETM.I will find a J-trace and use Ozone to try to slove the problem.Is there another IDE and debug tool surpport ETM we can use to debug the RT1176 accoding to your experience,migration from KEIL and buy a debug tool is relatively easy work.

0 Kudos
jackking
Senior Contributor I

@wangfan_1987 
@jingpan 

Did you figure out the correct code to use in a MCUXpresso SDK based project to enable the ETM trace on the MIMXRT1170-EVK?

I am not able to get the TRACE_CLK output (after bridging the resistors), and there are no examples on setting up ETM with the SDK.

I tried:

IOMUXC_SetPinMux(IOMUXC_GPIO_DISP_B2_02_ARM_TRACE00, 0U);
IOMUXC_SetPinMux(IOMUXC_GPIO_DISP_B2_03_ARM_TRACE01, 0U);
IOMUXC_SetPinMux(IOMUXC_GPIO_DISP_B2_04_ARM_TRACE02, 0U);
IOMUXC_SetPinMux(IOMUXC_GPIO_DISP_B2_05_ARM_TRACE03, 0U);
IOMUXC_SetPinMux(IOMUXC_GPIO_DISP_B2_06_ARM_TRACE_CLK, 0U);
IOMUXC_SetPinMux(IOMUXC_GPIO_DISP_B2_07_ARM_TRACE_SWO, 0U);

CLOCK_EnableClock(kCLOCK_Cstrace);

0 Kudos
wangfan_1987
Contributor I

so far the best reference doucemnt is https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/MIMXRT1170-EVK-How-to-enable-instruction-trace-on-the-RT1170/td... have abondon the idea of using keil do the etm test and going to by a jtrace.

0 Kudos
jackking
Senior Contributor I

I finally got J-Trace working with Ozone and the IMXRT1170-EVK.

I was *not* able to get ETM trace to work with IMXRT1170-EVKB RevC.  I worked with Segger and finally resorted to buying the EVK (not EVKB), although Segger was successful with trace on the IMXRT1170-EVKB RevA. 

I have to assume there is a hardware problem with EVKB RevC, where the TRACE_CLK signal is never output from the MCU, I don't know if this was a hardware failure on my specific EVKB RevC (it was brand-new), or a general problem with RevC.  It was quicker for me to buy an EVK (not EVKB) and move on.  I opened an NXP ticket, and basically the response was that ETM Trace with the IMXRT1170-EVK had no SDK examples or documentation from NXP.

After that, getting trace to work with the Ozone example project and the IMXRT1170-EVK was pretty easy.  The next challenge was getting my own project working with trace in Ozone.  You must set up the trace clock and pins correctly.  I tried to do this in my project code, using the pin mux and config tools, but was unsuccessful. 

I finally resorted to using the compiled JLinkscript from the Ozone sample project with my own project in Ozone, it set up the ETM trace pins and clock correctly for my own project to also work with trace.

0 Kudos
jackking
Senior Contributor I
I got this response from Segger, regarding RevC of the MIMXRT1170-EVKB:

NXP confirmed there was an issue with EVKB Rev C1 board in regards to trace.
The RevC design changed some IC on the board design which impacts the JTAG Reset pin which now holds the JTAG TAP in reset which has an effect on the trace logic.
The workaround for RevC is to drive that pin high by simply writing 0xa to register 0x40c08028 in the Ozone script.
0 Kudos