cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it important to enable XIP mode for our application

syed1
Contributor I

Hello

I'm using the MIMXRT011CAE4A processor for our customized board. I've created a binary file for my application code that I want to boot from the external NOR flash (MT25QU512ABB). I've flashed the file into the flash, but it is not booting from the flash.

It is mentioned in the RM of i.MXRT1010 that FlexSPI NOR flash supports both XIP and non-XIP images. I didn't enable the XIP mode in the flash. Is it mandatory to enable that? Encrypted XIP is also disabled. NOR flash is selected as the boot device. Should I consider any other configurations?

My image file doesn't contain any keyblobs and DCD as they are optional. Should I consider this?

The image I created only contains boot data, IVT structure, and the application code image.

What may be the reasons for my board not booting from the external flash? Check the grammar in the above.

xip.pngxip2.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Habib_MS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @syed1 ,

To ensure that your issue is with respect a configuration of XIP or that the issue is in something else, you can probe the example of the SDK (version 2.15.1) called "Hello_world", with the difference that the application will run from the RAM of the processor instead of the external flash. This to discard issues with the hardware of your processor.

By default, the example of "Hello_world" uses the external FLASH. You can change your project to run in RAM enabling this box:

Habib_Melchor_Santos_0-1716850238705.png

If the "hello_world" example ran correctly in RAM, you can probe the same example but now running in the FLASH. At the same time, this example configures the external flash FLASH in the XIP mode, as show the image below:

Habib_Melchor_Santos_1-1716850238709.png

This is something to highlight because in the event that it does run, we know that your FLASH runs correctly with XIP.

In the other hand, with respect your image, if you have an EVK, you can prove if the image is well built by flashing it to the EVK and corroborating that runs correctly.

Anyone that will be your result, do not hesitate to let me know.

BR,
Habib.

0 Kudos