cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debug with LPC-Link2 very slow

sergei_pilipenko
Contributor I

Hello,

I am using RT600 NXP MCU with Cortex-M33 and HiFi4 Audio DSP.

I want to use LPC-Link2 to debug the DSP core, for that i am doing the following:

1. open gdb server with xt-ocd.

2. In Xtensa Xplorer i am using "xtensa on cheap debug" configuration to connect to the gdb server.

It works, but very slow:

- Flash image to the device can take more then 5 minutes

- Each line step in the debug mode takes 3-5seconds.

I also tried to run the jtag without Xtensa Xplorer by using xt-gdb, I didn't noticed any difference.

When I connect to the Cortex-M33 core, it seems to work good (much much faster).

Is there a way to make the LPC-LINK2 work faster on the DSP core?

Attached, LPC-LINK2 configuration as provided by xt-ocd.

thanks,

Sergei

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

sergei_pilipenko
Contributor I

Hello Kerry,

I am using my own code, but it works slow on any demo project from the SDK.

On the EVB with built in jtag it worked fine, the problem started, when we moved to our own HW and LPC-LINK2 jtag,

the Cortex-M33 core is working fine but HiFi4 core became slow.

I tried to increase the speed in the configuration topology.xml file but id doesn't have any effect.

Is there a recommended configuration for LPC-LINK2 for the HiFi4 core (maybe some manual)?

What can affect the speed of the jtag (firewall, maybe some features that can be disabled, e.g. Trace)?

thanks,

Sergei

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @sergei_pilipenko 

Thanks for your feedback!

Just confirm it with you again, do you mean MIMXRT685-EVK HiFi4 core project also works normal, not slow, and the issue just happens on your own designed board, and HiFi4 core, right?

I will test this part these days on my MIMXRT685-EVK board, so please help to confirm the question at first. I need to make sure it is not related to the hardware.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

sergei_pilipenko
Contributor I

Hi Kerry,

Yes correct, on MIMXRT685-EVK HiFi4 core, when using the built in debugger of the EVK, everything works normal, but on my custom made board with LPC-Link2 debugger everything work slow.

thanks,

Sergei

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @sergei_pilipenko ,

Do you test the same project in the EVK and your customer board?

Do you try to use your external LPC-LINK2 to connect the MIMXRT685-EVK board, and test it again, whether it is slow or not, just make sure it is related to the debugger or your customer hardware.

Please help to check it and give me reply, thanks.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

sergei_pilipenko
Contributor I

Hi Kerry,

We tried the same project on the EVB and our custom board, on the EVB it is much faster.

I am not sure how it is possible to connect the LPC-LINK2 to the EVB, the EVB already have a debugger connected built in.

thanks,

Sergei

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @sergei_pilipenko 

Which detail project you are testing in the SDK? SDK_2.9.0_EVK-MIMXRT685\boards\evkmimxrt685\dsp_examples

If the xaf_demo, that project really build with long time, but you mentioned, the EVK board is OK.

So, I don't know whether you are testing this project or not?

When you use the external LPC-LINK2 with your own board, do you modify the topology.xml in folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Tensilica\Xtensa OCD Daemon 14.01

As the EVK JLINK serial number should not the same as your LPC-LINK2 jlink firmware.

About the EVK connect to external LPC-LINk2, SWD connect to J2, USB connect to J6, not J5. then you can use the external LPC-LINK2 as the debugger, this is the external LPC-LINK2 with JLINK result, you can find it can find the ARM core, it means external debugger is OK to use:

kerryzhou_0-1623213299458.png

Please use your external JLINK connect to the EVK, whether it is the same as your customer board or not?

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

sergei_pilipenko
Contributor I

Hello Kerry,

We tested the LPC-LINK2 on the EVK, and it is 5 times slower than the built in debugger (same topology file, except the serial number):

RT685 dev board:

ARM: Transfer rate: 272 KB/sec, 14661 bytes/write.

DSP: Transfer rate: 14 KB/sec, 9938 bytes/write.

LPC-Link2 with RT685 board:

ARM Transfer rate: 152 KB/sec, 14659 bytes/write.

DSP Transfer rate: 3 KB/sec, 9938 bytes/write.

thanks,

Sergei

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @sergei_pilipenko 

Yes, I know you use external LPC-LINK2 with EVK, I mean which detail SDK project you are testing to reproduce the issues.

Could you please give me the detail steps of the code to reproduce your issues? Then I can test it on my side, and try to reproduce your issues.

Please also share with me the code to which you get the transfer rate.

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @sergei_pilipenko 

Do you use the RT600 SDK DSP project on your side? If yes, please tell me which detailed DSP project, then I will help you to check it on my side.

Waiting for your updated information.

Best Regards.

kerry

0 Kudos