Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combo sensor in MIMXRT1020-EVK

Jump to solution
luishs
Senior Contributor I

Hello.

I tried to test the examples provided by the RT1020 SDK, to make use of the FXOS8700CQ sensor (accelerometer, magnetometer) of the MIMXRT1020-EVK evaluation board. The program gives an error message at runtime, there is no communication with the chip U26 (the referred sensor).

Today I have been looking at the board, and the problem is that it does not install that chip (U26), although it does appear in the scheme.

Is this normal, are there several versions of this board, with and without this sensor installed? On the RT1050 evaluation board, this sensor is installed with reference U32 of the diagram, but it is missing on the board of the RT1020 (U26).

I have three more MIMXRT1020-EVK boards, and all are without the U26 chip.  I will try to install it by myself, if I can locate the chip in a distributor.

Regards

sensor_RT1020.jpg

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
1 Solution
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The U26 part is not populated on the MIMXRT1020-EVK board to keep the board's cheaper price. You can install it by yourself. You can order it at one of the NXP authorized distributors on the NXP web site:

https://www.nxp.com/applications/solutions/internet-of-things/smart-things/healthcare/hearing-aids/d...

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dbhatia
Contributor I

Hello Artur, thank you for confirming the missing chip. I too wasted some time trying to get the example code to work and finally noticing this chip was not populated. I thought it maybe a production mistake on my board only but after finding your response I was disappointed with the misleading information that is still being propagated by NXP.

As per the very latest "fact-sheet" one year later -
"https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/fact-sheet/IMXRTEVKFS.pdf" clearly states this board contains the missing sensor:
6-axis eCompass (3-axis magnetometer, 3-axis accelerometer) sensor FXOS8700CQ.

Can you please take the initiative to correct the misleading marketing information for this EVK + flag it in the demo software that this example will not work, or have someone fix this obvious production error & populate it on all boards going forward?

I do not agree with the answer about saving cost to make it more affordable. This board is selling for about $70 which is even higher than the retail price and removing a $1.48 chip would not make it more affordable but it would help a lot of us if NXP would take this quality concern seriously. Thanks!

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The U26 part is not populated on the MIMXRT1020-EVK board to keep the board's cheaper price. You can install it by yourself. You can order it at one of the NXP authorized distributors on the NXP web site:

https://www.nxp.com/applications/solutions/internet-of-things/smart-things/healthcare/hearing-aids/d...

Have a great day,
Artur

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!