Are there any guidelines for multiple chained MIMXRT105x JTAG PCB layout and MCU-LINK-Pro settings

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any guidelines for multiple chained MIMXRT105x JTAG PCB layout and MCU-LINK-Pro settings

Jump to solution
RidiculousRichard
Contributor II

We are looking to include multiple MIMXRT105x chips along with other devices in a 5 pin JTAG chain (TMS, TCK, TDI, TDO and nTRST).

We have found AN4826, AN12419 and the MCU-LINK-PRO UM11673-2940346 documents.

Are there any other application notes or other documentation that could contain useful guidelines and instructions for PCB layout and how to write an appropriate custom MCU-LINK-PRO connection scripts.

Thank you for your help,

Richard

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RidiculousRichard
Contributor II

Thank you for you help Sam. +1

My take away is that there is no additional NXP documentation to find detailed NCU-LINK-Pro configuration comparable to e.g. Segger's more expensive debug probe and it's documentation; no worries and thank you once again.

Best regards,

Richard 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Sam_Gao
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @RidiculousRichard 

Thanks for your questions, it seems you want to know how to find dedicated documentaion about JTAG or MCU-LINK-pro for program or debug when you use MIMXRT105X, e.g useful guidelines and instructions for PCB layout. There are some comments from my side, please help clarify more if my understanding is wrong.

1. MIMXRT1050 EVKB Board Hardware User’s Guide to find JTAG connetor (J21 is a standard 20-pin/2.54 mm Box Header Connector for JTAG)

Sam_Gao_0-1717490334065.png

2. MIMXRT1050-EVK Design Resouces to download the schematics, layout files, and gerber files (including Silkscreen) for layout reference

3. AN4826 published by 2014 is still good guidelines for Schematic and PCB Layout, also please refer MCU-LINK-Pro User Manual to find more details, or other from MCU-LINK-Pro Documentation, it works well with our MCUXpresso or 3rd part IDE.

Sam_Gao_1-1717490780729.png

Have a nice day.

Sam

Hi @Masmiseim 

Thanks for your information and input.

Have a nice day,

Sam

RidiculousRichard
Contributor II

Thank you for you help Sam. +1

My take away is that there is no additional NXP documentation to find detailed NCU-LINK-Pro configuration comparable to e.g. Segger's more expensive debug probe and it's documentation; no worries and thank you once again.

Best regards,

Richard 

Masmiseim
Senior Contributor I

Hello,

We did this with the 1170. The whole thing was very unspectacular and runs without any problems. If you want to achieve good performance, you should just follow the usual layout rules.
Microchip has also created a nice summary on chaining: https://onlinedocs.microchip.com/pr/GUID-73C92233-8EC5-497C-92C3-D52ED257761E-en-US-1/index.html?GUI...

How you have to adapt the connect script depends on the development environment you are using. In principle, you only have to configure the bits before and after the device to be addressed, in each case for the instruction and data register.
Unfortunately, I cannot say how this works with MCUXpresso. We use Rowley Crossworks, which makes this very easy.

Regards

RidiculousRichard
Contributor II
Thank you for the link and good experience report. +1

I'm hoping someone who knows of MCUXpresso & MCU-LINK-Pro configuration documents will post some links to them.
0 Kudos