cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imxrt error cannot provide power to dap bus

Jump to solution
ancymuhammed
Contributor III

We are using MIMXRT1176AVM.  The following error is showing while flashing the program. What may be the possible reasons. In serial downloaded we can detect the device

ancymuhammed_0-1644666348237.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @ancymuhammed ,

Now, your board boot works, debug works, so the hardware works.

About  the possible reasons for having invalid image previously, it may be related to the code, eg, project didn't add the XIP boot header, FCB, IVT, etc. 

Now, can you test the SDK code again, eg, led_blinky, whether debug works OK in the internal boot mode. If everything works, then your design is OK.

Best Regards,

Kerry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
PhilP
Contributor I

I'm having similar problems, but on the MIMXRT1170-EVK itself. I am using an IAR i-Jet rather than Segger, but it fails to detect the CPU. I have also tried using MCUXpresso over USB / on-board debug, and it reports:

02: Failed on connect
 Cannot provide power to DAP bus.
 Probe(0): Connected&Reset. Was: NotConnected. DpID: 6BA02477. CpuID: 00000000. Info: <None>
 Debugging context: evkmimxrt1170_hello_world_cm7 LinkServer Debug

I'm trying to do a mass erase using the MCUbootUtility tool, but it won't connect either. My boot up pins are set to "Serial Downloader" and always have been, and I haven't changed any other DIPs or jumpers. I was using the board to download and debug successfully up until Friday, and then suddenly Monday morning - it won't communicate!

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @PhilP ,

If you have any question, please create your own question post, then we will help you in your own question post, thanks.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @ancymuhammed 

You didn't reply my latest question, please give me more information, otherwise, it is difficult to find the root issues.

Please tell me which MIMXRT1176 board you are using? NXP MIMXRT1170-EVK board?

If the serial download mode can download the code, whether boot works or not? I mean, use the serial download mode download code, then change to the internal boot mode, whether code function works or not? Or still just the CMSIS DAP connection have issues?

Which detail flashdriver you are using? If you are using the default NXP MIMXRT1170-EVK board, you need to select the QSPI flashdriver.

Do you check your CMSIS DAP debugger connection circuit, whether it is changed or not?

You also can give me some photo of your board connection.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos
ancymuhammed
Contributor III

We are using custom board. It is working fine in EVK. In serial downloader we can flash the code successfully. But it is not working in the internal boot mode. Some times error shows that SWD device not detected, sometime wire ACK fault, sometimes cannot power to dap bus. Initially all the boards are working. While changing it to internal RAM also it is not flashing. SWD connection is given below.

ancymuhammed_0-1644913242846.png

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @ancymuhammed ,

Thanks for your information.

Please check my understanding is correct or not:

1.  NXP NXP MIMXRT1170-EVK totally works, both in serial download mode, or the on board debugger download mode in the internal boot mode, right?

2. Your issues is your own custom board, and serial download mode, flash works, how do you download the code in serial download mode? Use debugger or other tools like MCUbootutility with UART or USB HID?

In internal boot mode,  debugger download have issues.

Please also check the BOOT_CFG, whether you configure it as the related flash method? different flash BOOT_CFG is not the same.

kerryzhou_0-1644978189625.png

What's the debugger you  are using?

I suggest you find a Segger JINK, then use the JLINK command to connect your customer board, whether you can find the ARM core or not? Please note, you need to use SWD.

SWD related pins: VDD, SWD_DIO, SWD_CLK,  reset,GND, need 5 pins.

kerryzhou_2-1644978810160.png

Reset you can connect to POR_B.

Please also note, JTAG_MOD, it should add pull down 10K to ground.

kerryzhou_1-1644978308915.png

Please check it on your side, whether your Segger JLINK can find the ARM core, if you can't find it, it means your debugger circuit still have issues.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos
ancymuhammed
Contributor III
We are using LPCLINK 2 for programming. We convert it to JLINK and tested, but still the same issue is seeing. We had connected the POR_B signal to 10th pin of J8 in LPCLINK (JTAG_RESET), but still it shows the same error. POR_B signal is pulled to VDD_SNVS_ANA which is 1.8V. From the debugger side it is 3.3V
0 Kudos
ancymuhammed
Contributor III

We had connected pull down resistor at JTAG_MOD pin 

0 Kudos
ancymuhammed
Contributor III

While using JLINK the below error is shown

ancymuhammed_0-1645002453487.png

0 Kudos
ancymuhammed
Contributor III

In the working board it seems that the JTAG_RESET signal is high continously, but in non working board RESET signal goes low after some clock pulses.

ancymuhammed_0-1645010007280.png

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @ancymuhammed ,

Please use your JLINK to connect your RT1170 customer board through the SWD interface.

Then use the JLINK command to connect it at first, do you install the Segger JLINK driver at first?

https://www.segger.com/downloads/jlink/JLink_Windows_x86_64.exe

You are using the LPC-LINK2, do you use the LPCScrypt to change the jlink firmware:

https://www.nxp.com/design/microcontrollers-developer-resources/lpcscrypt-v2-1-2:LPCSCRYPT?tid=vanLP...

You need to update the firmware:

https://www.segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/models/other-j-links/lpc-link-2/

After that, then please check the JLINK command like this:

MIMXRT1170 JLINK.jpg

Can you find the ARM core?

If you even can't find the ARM core, it means the hardware still have issues.

In the previous time, serial download mode, flash works, do you also check the code function, whether boot works or not?

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos
ancymuhammed
Contributor III

The issue solved after doing mass erase option in MCU Utility tool. What may be the possible reasons for this issue. Whether the mass erase option is solution for this

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @ancymuhammed ,

Mass erase works, as the flash downloaded the invalid image previously which can't boot, then it will influence the new debugger connection in internal boot mode.

Mass erase, or download a new working bootable image can resolve it, that's why I recommend you download a new sdk code in serail download mode.

Anyway, MCUbootUtility mass erase works, you can use this method.

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos
ancymuhammed
Contributor III

What may be the possible reasons for having invalid image previously. Do we have to take care any design improvements in our design to avoid these type of issues. Is it hardware or software.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @ancymuhammed ,

Now, your board boot works, debug works, so the hardware works.

About  the possible reasons for having invalid image previously, it may be related to the code, eg, project didn't add the XIP boot header, FCB, IVT, etc. 

Now, can you test the SDK code again, eg, led_blinky, whether debug works OK in the internal boot mode. If everything works, then your design is OK.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos
ancymuhammed
Contributor III

Thanks for the support

0 Kudos
ancymuhammed
Contributor III

We had tried this option, but not working. In serial downloader we can write the image. No error

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @ancymuhammed ,

Thanks for your updated information.

Please tell me which MIMXRT1176 board you are using? NXP MIMXRT1170-EVK board?

If the serial download mode can download the code, whether boot works or not? I mean, use the serial download mode download code, then change to the internal boot mode, whether code function works or not? Or still just the CMSIS DAP connection have issues?

Which detail flashdriver you are using? If you are using the default NXP MIMXRT1170-EVK board, you need to select the QSPI flashdriver.

Do you check your CMSIS DAP debugger connection circuit, whether it is changed or not?

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @ancymuhammed ,

Seems your debugger connection meets issues now.

Normally, if your board works normally previously, just meet this issue immediately.

Then, I think, you may downloaded the code abnormal, then the RT board flash don't have the valid app which can't boot normally, at this time, you may meet this connection issues.

Please try this method:

1. enter the serial download mode. SW1:1-OFF,2-OFF,3-OFF, 4-ON

2. Download a working project, eg, the SDK led_blinky project, don't care about the debug result, just make sure the donwload finished.

3. power off and switch to the internal boot mode again. SW1:1-OFF,2-OFF,3-ON, 4-OFF

4. check the app boots OK, then use your own working project download again.

Please try it on your side.

If you still have issues about it, please kindly let me know.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos
ancymuhammed
Contributor III

Hi,

We tried this option, but still the error is showing

0 Kudos