cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronous USART using FlexIO

Jump to solution
antoinezen
Contributor III

For some reason i need a clock signal along with the traditional UART signal. That clock must be in phase with the UART signal.

For example, it is possible to archive this  on LPC micro-controller with the following  configuration:

config.syncMode = kUSART_SyncModeMaster;

that sets the SYNCEN bit in the CFG register of the USART. 

Sadly the LPUART peripheral of the i.MX-RT does not have this feature. My idea was to use the FlexIO periferal some how between the UART configuration and SPI configuration. With the FlexIO outputting data signal with START and STOP bit on one pin along with the shifter clock on a second pin.

Do you think this is feasible ? If someone has an option or experience on this, it can save me hours of work. 

Thanks in advance!

/Antoine

#flexio uart‌ 

#flexio spi

#imxrt1050

#imxrt

#uart mode

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Antoine Zen-Ruffinen,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and the opportunity to serve you.
1) Do you think this is feasible?
-- Yes, the FlexIO is capable of simulating the Synchronous mode of UART. There're some FlexIO demo projects in the SDK library, maybe you can refer to them.

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Antoine Zen-Ruffinen,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and the opportunity to serve you.
1) Do you think this is feasible?
-- Yes, the FlexIO is capable of simulating the Synchronous mode of UART. There're some FlexIO demo projects in the SDK library, maybe you can refer to them.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.