JLink support for IMXRT1052 QSPI for JLink software version V7.7 & V7.84a.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JLink support for IMXRT1052 QSPI for JLink software version V7.7 & V7.84a.

mahesh3
Contributor III

Hi,

I see that the latest JLink software is not supporting flashing of RT1052 + QSPI based devices.
I was earlier using V7.68c software and it used to work perfectly. Since I updated JLink to the latest software V7.84a its not working. From a few online posts I see that segger has changed the way they manage supported devices and their flash loader algorithms.
The segger's website mentions to contact the silicon vendors for programming RT1052 + QSPI.

So please let me know how to make the debugger work with latest software.

Thanks & Regards,

Mahesh Murty

0 Kudos
14 Replies

mahesh3
Contributor III

Are you talking about MCUXpresso's log?

0 Kudos

CarlosGarabito
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

The log where you get the error, it could be MCUXpresso or the terminal jlink, I don't know where are you working.

0 Kudos

CarlosGarabito
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mahesh3 , could you post what you get in your log?

Thanks

Carlos E.

0 Kudos

mahesh3
Contributor III

This is what I am getting presently with JLink V6.8C on MCUXpresso Console:

[07-1-2023 10:15:25] Executing Server: "C:\Program Files\SEGGER\JLink\JLinkGDBServerCL.exe" -nosilent -swoport 2332 -select USB=261010742 -telnetport 2333 -singlerun -endian little -noir -speed auto -rtos GDBServer/RTOSPlugin_FreeRTOS -port 2331 -vd -device MCIMXRT1052 -if SWD -halt -reportuseraction
SEGGER J-Link GDB Server V7.68c Command Line Version

JLinkARM.dll V7.68c (DLL compiled Jul 28 2022 15:45:26)

Command line: -nosilent -swoport 2332 -select USB=261010742 -telnetport 2333 -singlerun -endian little -noir -speed auto -rtos GDBServer/RTOSPlugin_FreeRTOS -port 2331 -vd -device MCIMXRT1052 -if SWD -halt -reportuseraction
-----GDB Server start settings-----

GDBInit file: none
GDB Server Listening port: 2331
SWO raw output listening port: 2332
Terminal I/O port: 2333
Accept remote connection: localhost only
Generate logfile: off
Verify download: on
Init regs on start: off
Silent mode: off
Single run mode: on
Target connection timeout: 0 ms
------J-Link related settings------
J-Link Host interface: USB
J-Link script: none
J-Link settings file: none
------Target related settings------
Target device: MCIMXRT1052
Target interface: SWD
Target interface speed: auto
Target endian: little

Connecting to J-Link...
J-Link is connected.

Server has been shut down.

I had to downgrade the software to this version. This still doesn't seem to work correctly with MCUXpresso. I had to edit the JLinkDevices.xml file to remove the configuration selecting hyperflash. Then it started working in Ozone. The problem I feel is in the latest version JLinkDevices.xml doesn't exist. And there is some other method to select the device and the flashing algorithm which I am unable to figure out.

0 Kudos

CarlosGarabito
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Your log say that you are using 7.68 and not the 7.84a

[07-1-2023 10:15:25] Executing Server: "C:\Program Files\SEGGER\JLink\JLinkGDBServerCL.exe" -nosilent -swoport 2332 -select USB=261010742 -telnetport 2333 -singlerun -endian little -noir -speed auto -rtos GDBServer/RTOSPlugin_FreeRTOS -port 2331 -vd -device MCIMXRT1052 -if SWD -halt -reportuseraction
SEGGER J-Link GDB Server V7.68c Command Line Version

JLinkARM.dll V7.68c (DLL compiled Jul 28 2022 15:45:26)

Command line: -nosilent -swoport 2332 -select USB=261010742 -telnetport 2333 -singlerun -endian little -noir -speed auto -rtos GDBServer/RTOSPlugin_FreeRTOS -port 2331 -vd -device MCIMXRT1052 -if SWD -halt -reportuseraction

We make a test with a SDK_2_12_1_EVKB-IMXRT1050 with Jlink V7.84a without a problem, so, try to use other Jlink to make a test to rule out problems with your jlink

Best regards

0 Kudos

mahesh3
Contributor III

As I mentioned earlier, I had to downgrade JLink to 7.68 to get it working at least with Ozone. The log is for MCUXpresso IDE which doesn't work.

With the latest version of the software 7.84a, it doesn't work with both Ozone and MCUXpresso as the board is booting from QSPI flash. I will soon also post the logs with the latest software 7.84a.

0 Kudos

TomGibson
Contributor III

Are you referring to this forum.segger.com thread in your earlier post?

The Segger Wiki no longer makes any reference to editing JLinkDevices.xml as used to be the process (per this old blog post that is no longer valid), that was removed from the page a few revisions ago. I haven't yet worked out what the new process is, it would be helpful if someone from NXP (@CarlosGarabito??) could weigh in with what the supported process should be for debugging with boards modified to use QSPI with SEGGER.

CarlosGarabito
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mahesh3  and @TomGibson We are looking into this, as we do not have a record of this problem with SEGGER, as soon as I have some information, I will post it here

CarlosGarabito
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mahesh3 and @TomGibson if you want to use QSPI flash, we need to change the flash driver from MIMXRT1050-EVK_S26KS512S.cfx to MIMXRT1050-EVK_IS25WP064A.cfx as you can see in the pictures below:

CarlosGarabito_0-1675195069208.png

CarlosGarabito_1-1675195094178.png

0 Kudos

Elsa_7561
Contributor II

Hi, a same issue with me for RT1052 + QSPI norflash + Jlink version 7.94b.

I use customer board with RT1052 and nor flash IS25LP128F. now I could use demo "hello world" in MCUXpresso IDE wih Jlink. but I MUST relist the SRAM_DTC, SRAM_ITC, SRAM_OC in MCU setting as below. I don't kown why it can be downloaded successfully by following below list. is there any different to change the memory list?

ivy_shi_0-1704187253537.png

and once I change the list back to original defination, it looks download and debug will be failed as below. I did not see the jlink firmware download window and the code did not stop at main when debug. the detalied log and QSPI config as attached file.

ivy_shi_2-1704187887151.png

0 Kudos

TomGibson
Contributor III

Thanks for looking into this further @CarlosGarabito . The screenshots you have shared match the process for LPC-Link2 detailed in the blog post that I linked previously. The blog post details a separate process for SEGGER J-Link which no longer works. Please would you confirm that the method that you have shared which previously only worked for LCP-Link2 is actually now all that is required for SEGGER J-Link also? Thanks.

0 Kudos

CarlosGarabito
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

it works with jlink

0 Kudos

mahesh3
Contributor III

MIMXRT1050_SFDP_QSPI.cfx is selected in my project as I am debugging on a custom board. Anyways I will change and update you my findings.
But this will not work with other tools like JFlasher and Ozone. Earlier solution used to work with all the tools.

0 Kudos

mahesh3
Contributor III

The method has changed. In some versions of JLink I had to edit and add a few extra lines in the JLinkDevices.xml to boot from QSPI flash. In some versions I had to delete the existing hyperflash configuration and once deleted, it use to configure the flash loader for QSPI automatically.
My question is what should be the contents of the JLinkDevices.xml file placed in the global path for QSPI boot? I tried old combinations but it doesn't work now.