I need to know how these ROM API in imxrt106x process the data to store in Flash

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to know how these ROM API in imxrt106x process the data to store in Flash

divithsid
Contributor I

I'm using ROM API's to store the sensitive data into NVM(Flash) as we don't have EEPROM.

1. I just need to check that, the data which is present in RAM will store into Flash?

2. Will these API's affect XIP mode??

0 Kudos
14 Replies

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
1. I just need to check that, the data which is present in RAM will store into Flash?
-- Yes.
2. Will these API's affect XIP mode??
-- No.
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

divithsid
Contributor I

1. Will these API are available in RAM after application boot up?

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
1) Will these API are available in RAM after application boot up?
--- Actually, I'm not very clear with this question, whether you can clarify it again.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

divithsid
Contributor I

Is it  possible to elaborate answer for 1st question?

0 Kudos

divithsid
Contributor I

Do I need to disable interrupts when using the ROM API to operate external Flash? Or are interrupts disabled in the ROM API? The actual operation does not seem to be necessary

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
1) Do I need to disable interrupts when using the ROM API to operate external Flash? Or are interrupts disabled in the ROM API? The actual operation does not seem to be necessary
-- In my opinion, you'd better implement some critical section protection measures, such as disabling interrupt prior to calling the FlexSPI ROM API
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos

divithsid
Contributor I

Does you have any particular document which holds your statement.. Coz I have critical data to monitor if I suspend the tasks or disable IRQ then I may miss the information when these API triggered.. 

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
1) Does you have any particular document which holds your statement.. Coz I have critical data to monitor if I suspend the tasks or disable IRQ then I may miss the information when these API triggered.
-- No, I get the conclusion base on my experience, that it's hard to tradeoff handling flash safety and receiving some information in time, in this case, you need to make choice.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos

divithsid
Contributor I

I'm facing some few issues,

1. What is the minimum erase size, maximum write and read size.

2. I have situation where need to take 4kb data as backup coz min erase size is 1 sector(4kb). is there any way to write/read 4kb in 1 stretch or can we reduce erase size to 256 bytes??  

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @divithsid ,
Thanks for your reply.
1. What is the minimum erase size, maximum write and read size.
-- It's determined by the external flash, the minimum erase unit usually is one sector, for the read or write operation, it should be one page.
2. I have situation where need to take 4kb data as backup coz min erase size is 1 sector(4kb). is there any way to write/read 4kb in 1 stretch or can we reduce erase size to 256 bytes??
-- It's able to read or write a sector which consist fo several pages, however, it's impossible to reduce the erase size.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos

divithsid
Contributor I

Do you have any schema to read 4kb, erase 4kb, and writing 4kb in a stretch?

if you have any suggestion on how to handle above scenario, do let me know.. 

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
1) Do you have any schema to read 4kb, erase 4kb, and writing 4kb in a stretch?
- As I mentioned before, the flash operations depend on the external flash, so I'd like to suggest you refer to its datasheet.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------o

0 Kudos

divithsid
Contributor I

Hi,

I tried reading 1kb works fine but if I increase to 2kb the system will restart. As data sheet of flash memory states that, we can read the entire 16Mb in one single instruction.

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @divithsid ,
Thanks for your reply.
I'd like to suggest you'd better create a new case for this question.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos