cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot initialize PHY. , error in lwip

sajithdevidas
Contributor III

Hi,

I'm working on Ethernet with the RT1170, and I used the SDK example "lwip_ping_bm_cm7." I'm working on a custom board with a different Ethernet module (DP83848QSQE/NOPB) on board. I configured all the pins and the physical address correctly, and I enabled the preprocessor "BOARD_NETWORK_USE_100M_ENET_PORT."

However, it shows "PHY Initialization failed."

Can anyone please help with this?

sajithdevidas_0-1719587932626.png

@kerryzhou #rt1176 #ethernet

0 Kudos
7 Replies

carstengroen
Senior Contributor II

What happens in the code when you debug ?

Normally its a good idea to at least get some idea of what's wrong

0 Kudos

sajithdevidas
Contributor III

here where, it is hanging

sajithdevidas_0-1719817670563.png

0 Kudos

carstengroen
Senior Contributor II

Yes, then work your way backwards from there (check "pcMessage" etc) and find out exactly why the operation ends up in an assert. Just plain debugging

sajithdevidas
Contributor III

We identified the issue: the example code uses the PHY driver for the "ksz8081" because the EVK board comes with the "ksz8081" Ethernet chip. However, my custom board uses the "DP8384Q" chip. Therefore, we need to change the PHY layer drivers to support the "DP8384Q."

My questions are:

1. Can we obtain PHY driver files for the "DP8384Q" from NXP, or do we need to develop them manually?
  2. The internet provides PHY driver files for the "DP8384Q." Can we use those directly without any modifications,if i use  those, should i use the "fsl_phy.h", in the component folder?
  3. The "fsl_phy.h" code relates to accessing the PHY peripheral on the RT1170 controller. In the "ksz8081" driver, it uses the PHY peripheral registers of the RT1170 controller for various operations. Apart from the Ethernet chip, do we need to configure or modify the driver to work with the PHY peripheral of the RT1170 controller?
0 Kudos

Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Helloo, I hope you are well. 

1. Unfortunately, we don’t have the driver for that PHY.
2. I could not say if they can be integrated directly.
3. Modifying the PHY part is enough for that layer of the stack.

Best regards,
Omar

sajithdevidas
Contributor III

sajithdevidas_1-1720160457718.png

Hi,

Actually, I'm asking about the file "fsl_phy_h." Is this file related to the KSZ8081 or the RT1170 controller? Are any modifications needed in this file if we change our Ethernet module?

Thank you,

@Omar_Anguiano 

0 Kudos

Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

The fsl_phy is related to RT1170 PHY controller. Ideally it should not be modified but it will depend on the your phy requirements. 

Best regards,
Omar

0 Kudos