what version of Linux is used in the iMX?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what version of Linux is used in the iMX?

Jump to solution
slouchez
Contributor I

In 2010 I spent many days struggling with Freescale's Linux custom version.

I hope things have changed?

I'm considering the iMX28 for a low power industrial application - WiFi and Cell to the Internet, ZigBee as a separate module to the factory floor

My questions:

- what flavor of Linux is now used in the IMX? Ubuntu? Debian?

- what is the relationship with the Yocto project?

Thanks for any info pointing me in the right direction :-)

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If you want to use a recent kernel, just go to kernel.org, git clone it, then

make mxs_defconfig

make

and you will have kernel for mx28. You also need a dtb. For mx28evk just do: make imx28-evk.dtb

In Yocto you can select between FSL 2.6.35 or mainline kernel (currently it is 3.17). You can even try pre-built images:

http://ci.ossystems.com.br/public/fsl-community-bsp/dizzy/47/x11

(By default the kernel used on the image is 2.6.35, but you can switch to 3.17 if you prefer it)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
lategoodbye
Senior Contributor I

Hi Sylvain,

the MX28 support in current mainline isn't optimized for low power applications. A lot of power managment stuff from the downstream kernel is still missing.

Do you have specific requirements?

BR Stefan

0 Kudos
EgleTeam
Contributor V

Hi Sylvain,

we use kernel mainline + Yocto to build file system. Freescale's kernel "fork" for i.MX287 is quite old.

Regards,

Manuel.

slouchez
Contributor I

Thanks Manuel, further question: I understand loading the Yocto file system, but does the procedure still requires building/ compiling the kernel with all its arcane options? Or is the kernel supplied as in a standard distribution?

Also - most importantly - will the Linux build supplied with the development kit "load and go" into the system so that programming can start immediately?

I'm very concerned that - as in the past - we had weeks of start up delay.due to kernel build issues (and bugs, actually...). I can't afford to absorb this in the project upfront. If on the other end this comes up as the product hardware is being built, then we'll have time to prepare for that. The developers are familiar with standard distributions and loading linux on the Raspberry PI. Would you give me a comparison of procedures?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If you want to use a recent kernel, just go to kernel.org, git clone it, then

make mxs_defconfig

make

and you will have kernel for mx28. You also need a dtb. For mx28evk just do: make imx28-evk.dtb

In Yocto you can select between FSL 2.6.35 or mainline kernel (currently it is 3.17). You can even try pre-built images:

http://ci.ossystems.com.br/public/fsl-community-bsp/dizzy/47/x11

(By default the kernel used on the image is 2.6.35, but you can switch to 3.17 if you prefer it)

0 Kudos
slouchez
Contributor I

THANKS!!!!!

0 Kudos
SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Let us know if you need further assistance.

0 Kudos
slouchez
Contributor I

we have the MX28EVK revD card, and the Linux SD default labeled 77224E.

This is not even basic - missing /etc/network for example and is missing most commands (sudo, nano!) i.e. not intended to be used for starting development

What are the next steps?

0 Kudos
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I am not sure I understand what you are using.

What kernel version do you use? Which rootfs?

0 Kudos