cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

microSD card fails to complete initialization

MarkDrzymala
Contributor II

Hello, 

We are integrating an i.MX 8QuadMax and are experiencing intermittent failures of SanDisk brand 32GB microSD cards in our development units. 

With a protocol analyzer on bootup (this microSD card is the OS boot source) and a *failed* card, I see the i.MX 8 send a CMD0 (reset), then CMD8 (check supplied voltage), then a CMD55 (APP_CMD) and ACMD41 (send operating condition register). The CMD55 and ACMD41 commands are continuously sent until the i.MX 8 resets itself after about 300mS. Bus analysis shows that the ACMD41 response "Busy Status" bit is never set, therefore the card has not completed initialization and the i.MX 8 resets before it ever does.

Questions:

1. The SDIO Physical specification says that the SDIO controller should wait for the "Busy Status" bit to be set for at least 1 second, yet the i.MX 8 resets before then. Why? Can this be changed?

2. Has anyone else experienced SD card failures like this using i.MX 8 processors? Our previous generation product with an i.MX 6 processor did not exhibit this issue.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Which version BSP are you using? Do you have other boot device on your board, can other device can boot well? And only the SD card boot met problem?

0 Kudos