cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kirkstone: benchmark for glmark2-es2-wayland is jerky

SebastienFabre
Contributor II

Hello,

I am working on imx6qdlsabresd on yocto kirstone. I am building core-image-weston with IMX_DEFAULT_BSP set to "nxp".

When running “XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000 glmark2-es2-wayland --fullscreen -b refract”, it is jerky (it is not fluid), whereas it seems to be better in dunfell. With jellyfish, there is also a difference between kirkstone and dunfell.

Moreover, it seems that there is the same behavior with the wandboard.

Do you know what can cause this behavior?

0 Kudos
13 Replies

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

There is no difference between yocto dunfell and kirkstone, but you are checking the Mx6, you may check the MX8 to see any difference.

Regards

0 Kudos

SebastienFabre
Contributor II

Hello,

I can see a difference between dunfell and kirkstone ("refract" benchmark) and I was hoping, at least, for the same behavior between the new and the old version. 

Regards 

0 Kudos

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Yes, it is different kernel and other stuff, but in graphics drivers it correspond the same.

Regards

0 Kudos

SebastienFabre
Contributor II

Hello,

For me, it is not normal to have regression with newer yocto version and newer kernel version.

Moreover, with yocto kirkstone imx manifest (repo init -u https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-manifest -b imx-linux-kirkstone -m imx-5.15.32-2.0.0.xml), MACHINE equals to imx6qdlsabresd and DISTRO equal to fsl-imx-xwayland, when running  “XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000 glmark2-es2-wayland --fullscreen -b refract” (glmark2 has been added in IMAGE_INSTALL of core-image-weston), it is jerky.

Best regards

0 Kudos

SebastienFabre
Contributor II

Hello,

Have you reproduced this issue on imx6qdlsabresd or wandboard? Do you have an explanation?

I have tried to use the dunfell version of glmark2-es2-wayland in kirstone and it is still jerky.

You can find attached a video which shows the difference between kirkstone (top screen) and dunfell (bottom screen)

Best regards

0 Kudos

Aubineau_FAE
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Which i.MX6 derivative are you using? i.MX6Q/D? i.MX6QP/DP? i.MX6DL/S? i.MX6SX?

To what I know Dunfell is not an official NXP release.

Can you please run the full glmark-es2-wayland benchmark and share your result?

I ran the full glmark-es2-wayland benchmark on an i.MX6Q Sabre-SD board with the standard images (thus ZEUS and Kirkstone):

• Linux 5.4.7-2.3.0 (Zeus)
  • Linux 5.15.71-2.2.0 (Kirkstone) 

To what I have measured, globally glmark-es2-wayland is better on Kirkstone vs Zeus (score: 88 vs 81).

I will check why "reflect" is more jerky on Kirkstone.

Vincent

0 Kudos

SebastienFabre
Contributor II

Hello,

For the imx6qdlsabresd, it is i.MX6QP (PC IMX6QP6AVT 1AA).

You can find attached the result of the benchmark for kirkstone (kirkstone manifest of fsl-community-bsp-platform). We also have a difference (dunfell vs kirkstone) with jellyfish benchmark.

Best regards

0 Kudos

Aubineau_FAE
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I have noticed it becomes Jerky between L5.10.09-1.0.0 and L5.10.35-2.0.0.

For Jellyfish, even if display is jerky, benchmark results are all in the same ballparks in the 8 BSP images I tested it:

y$ grep -rni "ellyf" *
glmark-es2-wayland_L5.04.70-2.3.0.txt:35:[jellyfish] <default>: FPS: 50 FrameTime: 20.000 ms
glmark-es2-wayland_L5.10.09-1.0.0.txt:38:[jellyfish] <default>: FPS: 49 FrameTime: 20.408 ms
glmark-es2-wayland_L5.10.35-2.0.0.txt:34:[jellyfish] <default>: FPS: 54 FrameTime: 18.519 ms
glmark-es2-wayland_L5.10.52-2.1.0.txt:38:[jellyfish] <default>: FPS: 54 FrameTime: 18.519 ms
glmark-es2-wayland_L5.10.72-2.2.0.txt:34:[jellyfish] <default>: FPS: 55 FrameTime: 18.182 ms
glmark-es2-wayland_L5.15.05-1.0.0.txt:34:[jellyfish] <default>: FPS: 54 FrameTime: 18.519 ms
glmark-es2-wayland_L5.15.32-2.0.0.txt:33:[jellyfish] <default>: FPS: 54 FrameTime: 18.519 ms
glmark-es2-wayland_L5.15.71-2.2.0.txt:35:[jellyfish] <default>: FPS: 54 FrameTime: 18.519 ms

Maybe the framebuffer is not swappedregularly. 

Vincent

0 Kudos

SebastienFabre
Contributor II

Hello Vincent,

Thanks for the information. Do you have an idea to fix this regression?

Best regards,

Sebastien

0 Kudos

Aubineau_FAE
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

We do not plan any update, it seems to be just display artifacts.

Do you see any performance issue in your application?

Vincent

0 Kudos

SebastienFabre
Contributor II

Hi,

Yes, 3D animation are clearly jerky on the screen even if FPS reported is good

Sébastien

0 Kudos

Aubineau_FAE
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I mean difference in term of performance in your application not in the benchmark.

Vincent

0 Kudos

SebastienFabre
Contributor II

Hi,

Yes, we have the same behavior when we are playing videos with our Qt application.
It can be reproduced with the qmlvideo Qt example  (qtmultimedia-examples recipe: https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtmultimedia.git/tree/examples/multimedia/video/qmlvideo?h=5.15)

Sébastien

0 Kudos