cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx8mm_evk with langdale (6.1.1)

dmitriyantonets
Contributor I

Hi all.
Worked with imx-linux-kirkstone (kernel 5.15.52) with the HW imx8mm_evk_lpddr4 long enough, with different hardware configurations (different SDRAMs, network devices, etc.). All worked, in any case the problems were quite understandable.
Now I switched to imx-linux-langdale (kernel 6.1.1) with the same HW and imx8mm_evk_lpddr4. And immediately got one of the most difficult problems to debug.
So:
- U-Boot, although formally has the same version, but contains a number of significant changes. However, it starts normally and boots a previous customized Linux kernel 5.15.52 without problems.
- Linux kernel 6.1.1 is built without any changes in the configuration and source code
- When trying to load it on the serial console the last (normal) message from U-Boot is visible:
Starting kernel ...
then nothing happens.
This means that the kernel crashes before it initializes the serial console.
Requests:
- some idea.
- maybe someone has a tested fragment of assembly language text for the A53 output the symbol to the console serial port. The idea is: (a) to put this fragment into the entry.S before the virtual memory is initialized (and after is also possible); (b) U_Boot leaves the serial port hardware in an initialized state so I can determine if the kernel starts at all and approximately where it crashes.
Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Try to erase and burn again uboot and yocto in your SD, since the error you show us, is due to bad programming of the bsp or bad kernel image builder.

Regards

0 Kudos

dmitriyantonets
Contributor I

Thank you for your response.
I have been using the earlycon paired with the initcall_debug and fixed that problem. Everything is booting OK now.

0 Kudos

fourtrax1
Contributor II

Hi dmitriyantonets, can you elaborate a little on what the problem was in your case?

I have a similar problem after upgrading to 6.1.1. For me initcall_debug and earlycon show nothing, however via jtag it looks like the kernel is loaded and reaches start_kernel.

Thanks and regards

0 Kudos

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Good!!!

0 Kudos