imx6q eim access speed issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx6q eim access speed issue

Rajeshv
Contributor I

We are use a iMX6Quad CPU on one of our custom board. We are running Linux 4.19.25. We are having performance issue on the EIM bus. Our bus clock is 132MHz and the core clock is at 996MHz. The EIM bus width is 16 bits. With this configuration our access of a 16/32 data on this port is slow. A 16 bit access takes 350 nano seconds. We see this issue only while accessing through virtual memory from a user space. We have setup the EIM registers correctly as we can assess the data faster from a physical address in u-boot. But with the virtual address access it adds a ~250nanoseconds delay. Is this expected delay from the MMU for address translation? I have captured the Chip select signal on the scope. For a 32 bit access from cpu, the two 16 bit access is fast. But a two 16 bit access from the CPU is slow and is spaced 250 nanoseconds apart. I have attached the cs signal for two 16 bit cpu access and two 32 bit cpu access.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Rajesh

> Is this expected delay from the MMU for address translation?

yes this can be in linux as in operating system (opposite to uboot) there are other masters

accessing concurrently system buses. In theory one can try to increase master priority (core0 for example)

using Table 45-5. QoS and tidemark parameters  i.MX 6Dual/6Quad Applications Processor Reference Manual

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

Rajeshv
Contributor I

But we do not see this problem on the Same board running RTOS  like eCos. Linux is configuring something different and causing this issue. 

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

usual linux is not RTOS, so there may be bigger delays. One can try for example special version of linux

https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/real-time-edge-software:REALTIME-EDGE-SOFTW...

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

Rajeshv
Contributor I

We are using the Prempt RT patch in the kernel. We have also tried this on a Linux with Xenomai co kernel and running the test in xenomai task. If the user task was getting preempted, we will not see this delay for every access across 100 consecutive access. I have attached the Chip Select timing of a 16 bit access while running  from an RTOS on the same board. Something is Linux is configured differently. 

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

>Something is Linux is configured differently.

additional details were sent via mail. Also may be helpful

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/imx6-How-to-make-GPIO-toggle-faster/m-p/309313

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos