cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx6UL how to upgrade to latest kernel from yocto project

vijayaragavansr
Contributor II

Hi All,

How to upgrade to latest kernel in im6ul evk board? am using yocto build? would be really helpful if some one defines the step-by-step . because am new to this kernel upgrading work.... 

Thanks 

Vijayt

Labels (5)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

arnoutdiels
Contributor III

Hi,

I'm facing the same question, since I ran into an issue where ubifs patches were need that were only merged into mainline at v4.9.

Hence, one can either try to backport those into v4.1, or try to just go to mainline.

As time progresses, this issue (of the v4.1 lagging behind) becomes worse. NXP/freescale itself also eventually will have to release a newer BSP for its processors anyway, so this is also relevant from NXP.

I did look around already, and quite some stuff has been merged to mainline (and alot of stuff hasn't).

A small summary of my (1 day) experience with mainline v4.11 and the IMX6ULL (I don't use yocto, just bare kernel compilation and some basic NFS rootfs):

- IMX6ULL boots with default config and dts for the evk

- Extremly slowly, because someone left a dev option on PROVE_LOCKS in the default config

- The spi-imx driver is different.. But you can port the one from v4.1 easily (don't forget the DTS entries for DMA)

- The gpmi (NAND) is different, but seems to work. I had to find out about the fsl,use-minimum-ecc option to get it to do the same as the v4.1

- 700/800 Mhz targets don't seem to be supported. There were some yocto patches that read fuses for this, but this is clearly not in mainline.

As NXP should make a new BSP at one point, it would be very interesting follow any stabilization branch in which this is done. That way I / anyone can see if any important patches come around, and already take them in (or actually try to get upstreamed). Is this branch already available? Is there like an overview of what is merged/ what not?

Thanks for any feedback!

Arnout

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Vijayt,

Do you mean upgrade from the version included on a microSD with the board? If that’s the case first look at what kernel version comes with your board.

As of today, the latest BSP Release for the i.MX6UL is L4.1.15_2.0.0, you may download the BSP documentation on the following link (please note that you may need to login to download this file). Look at the Yocto User’s Guide for step-by-step instructions on how to build a Linux image for your board.

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L4.1.15_2.0.0-LINUX-DOCS&Parent_nodeId=14411386073737272...

If you just want to load a prebuilt L4.1.15_2.0.0 image you may download the demo images from the link below and just write them on the microSD card.

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L4.1.15_2.0.0_iMX6UL7D&appType=license&Parent_nodeId=144...

You will find a compressed .sdcard image. You can then load the image using dd as mentioned on the Yocto User’s Guide in section 6.1 and then loading the appropriate bootloader:

$sudo dd if=u-boot-<BOARD>.imx of=/dev/sdd bs=1K seek=1; sync

I hope this information helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos

vijayaragavansr
Contributor II

Hi gusarambula,

Thanks for the reply. my goal is to move to latest kernel from 4.1.5 to 4.11 or 4.10 for imx6ul evk board. how do I do that? please guide me in porting to latest kernel.

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Vijayaragavan Srinivasan,

While it’s possible to port the mainline kernel to work on the i.MX processors, it is always recommended to use the BSP Release kernel versions as these have been tested and include all patches and bug fixes for it to run properly.

You can see an interesting conversation regarding alternatives to do this on the following thread:

https://community.nxp.com/message/477265

Unless you absolutely require features available only on 4.1.11 or 4.10 I would recommend using the latest BSP Release kernel.

Regards,

0 Kudos