cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx rt 1024: flexspi configuration

Jump to solution
bp1979
Senior Contributor I

I am trying to understand how FLEXSPI gets configured for a 1024. I know the ROM code is responsible for setting it up without DQS, and does some magic that sets the flexspi clocks, and that startup code nor polling SDK example reinitializes flexspi at 133 MHz.

I know the macros XIP_EXTERNAL_FLASH and XIP_BOOT_HEADER_DCD_ENABLE having influence on this flexspi configuration, but I am completely lost on what EXACTLY happens WHERE and WHY.

Then this comment struck me:

/* In SDK projects, external flash (configured by FLEXSPI) will be initialized by dcd.
     * With this macro XIP_EXTERNAL_FLASH, usb1 pll (selected to be FLEXSPI clock source in SDK projects) will be left unchanged.
     * Note: If another clock source is selected for FLEXSPI, user may want to avoid changing that clock as well.*/

Can you confirm that the clock source for flexspi is usb1, and thus, that changes to PFD2 clock as done here have no impact at all??

static inline void flexspi_clock_init()
{
#if defined(XIP_EXTERNAL_FLASH) && (XIP_EXTERNAL_FLASH == 1)
    /* Switch to PLL2 for XIP to avoid hardfault during re-initialize clock. */
    CLOCK_InitSysPfd(kCLOCK_Pfd2, 24);    /* Set PLL2 PFD2 clock 396MHZ. */
    CLOCK_SetMux(kCLOCK_FlexspiMux, 0x2); /* Choose PLL2 PFD2 clock as flexspi source clock. */
    CLOCK_SetDiv(kCLOCK_FlexspiDiv, 2);   /* flexspi clock 133M. */
#else
    const clock_usb_pll_config_t g_ccmConfigUsbPll = {.loopDivider = 0U};

CLOCK_InitUsb1Pll(&g_ccmConfigUsbPll);
    CLOCK_InitUsb1Pfd(kCLOCK_Pfd0, 24);   /* Set PLL3 PFD0 clock 360MHZ. */
    CLOCK_SetMux(kCLOCK_FlexspiMux, 0x3); /* Choose PLL3 PFD0 clock as flexspi source clock. */
    CLOCK_SetDiv(kCLOCK_FlexspiDiv, 2);   /* flexspi clock 120M. */
#endif
}

Is there any application note that explains the FLEXPI mystery properly? I am going back and forth between reference manual, SDK examples, and mystic comments. I really hope there is somebody at NXP support who still understands how all of this works.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @bp1979 ,

This question is the same as another your post:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/imx-rt-1024-flexpi-clock-when-flash-supposed-to-run-60-...

Which I already reply you.

XIP FCB will use the 60Mhz, as th ROM didn't enable the DQS pin.

But, in your code, you can change the flexspi Clock more than 60Mhz, as you can define the DQS pin in the pinmux directly, that's why you find the flexspi_polling demo is using 133Mhz, as that is defined the DQS pin in the code.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know.

Best Regards,

Kerry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @bp1979 ,

This question is the same as another your post:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/imx-rt-1024-flexpi-clock-when-flash-supposed-to-run-60-...

Which I already reply you.

XIP FCB will use the 60Mhz, as th ROM didn't enable the DQS pin.

But, in your code, you can change the flexspi Clock more than 60Mhz, as you can define the DQS pin in the pinmux directly, that's why you find the flexspi_polling demo is using 133Mhz, as that is defined the DQS pin in the code.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos