iMX8QM HDMI input audio issue when HDMI cable is unplugged

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX8QM HDMI input audio issue when HDMI cable is unplugged

stephanhoffmann
Contributor III

When a HDMI source is connected to the HDMI Input of iMX8QM I can access it with v4l2 (e.g. v4l2-ctl --list-devices) and alsa (e.g. arecord -l or arecord -D hw:1 -f S16_LE -r 48000 -c 2 /tmp/record).

When I do not have a HDMI source connected v4l2-ctl --list-devices does not list the device which I consider expected behaviour. Also the video device /dev/videox is not present in this case.

At the same time arecord -l still lists the HDMI rx audio device, but it does not work, arecord gives an error message:

# arecord -D hw:1 -f S16_LE -r 48000 -c 2 /tmp/record
arecord: main:831: audio open error: Invalid argument

As of my understanding ALSA should work the same as v4l2 in this regard.

I am using a custom image based on NXP Linux kernel lf-6.1.1-1.0.0 from https://github.com/nxp-imx/linux-imx on a custom board.

I observed the same behavior with a iMX8QM MEK running NXP i.MX Release Distro 6.6-nanbield with kernel 6.6.3-lts-next-gccf0a99701a7.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

JorgeCas
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

It seems that does not update the card list when RX HDMI device is unplugged, and takes the last list configuration in:

/proc/asound/cards

Best regards.

0 Kudos

stephanhoffmann
Contributor III

Thank you for replying, JorgeCas, but that's obvious.

The question is: Is this considered a bug that might get fixed sometimes in the future? Is NXP already aware of this and working on it?

Kind regards

Stephan

0 Kudos

JorgeCas
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

ALSA enumerates the sound cards according to the device tree configuration and it is not updated until reboot. That is an expected behavior.

Best regards.

0 Kudos

JorgeCas
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

This is not reported as a bug. Let me check if internal team knows about this behavior and confirm if this is an expected behavior.

Best regards.

0 Kudos

stephanhoffmann
Contributor III

Thanks!

0 Kudos