iMX8M Plus Cortex-M7 JTAG Debug "Could not measure IR len. TDO is constant high"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX8M Plus Cortex-M7 JTAG Debug "Could not measure IR len. TDO is constant high"

SegFault0
Contributor I

Hello,

I am currently trying to debug the Cortex-M7 coprocessor of the i.MX8MP. However, I cannot establish a connection and get the error message "Could not measure IR len. TDO is contant high".

I have already measured the physical connection several times. The pins used are: JTAG_RST, JTAG_TDO, JTAG_TCK, JTAG_TMS, JTAG_TDI, JTAG_nTRST, 3V3 and GND.

I also use the JLinkScript for the i.MX8MP (SDK_MX8MP_3RDPARTY_Patch) in combination with the J-Link Plus debug probe. What confuses me a bit is that in the JLinkScript the ResetTarget() function is empty. 

The reference manual (document number: IMX8MPRM) contains the following sentence "When Arm platform access to the SDMA OnCE is enabled (that is, when the bit in the
ONCE_ENB register is set), the JTAG access is disabled." When I read the SDMAARMx_ONCE_ENB registers, there is a 0 in each register, which means that the arm platform access should be disabled, yet still I cannot connect via JTAG.

If I try to connect via SWD I just get "Cannot connect to target."

0 Kudos
9 Replies

Dhruvit
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @SegFault0,

I hope you are doing well.

"Could not measure total IR len. TDO is constant high."

From the above error, It seems that TDO pin is not properly connected or configured for JTAG.

Please refer to Table 6. JTAG recommendations and 2.2 JTAG signal termination in i.MX 8M Plus Hardware Developer’s Guide.

Thanks & Regards,
Dhruvit Vasavada

0 Kudos

SegFault0
Contributor I

Hello,

I have not connected any external resistors/termination to any of the pins. The setup is Host PC <-> J-Link Plus <-> i.MX8MP JTAG port, pinout as described in my inital post.

In the image above the setup was as describe (Host PC <-> J-Link Plus <-> i.MX8MP JTAG port). Channel 1 is nTRST, channel 2 is TMS, channel 3 is TCK and channel 4 is TDO. As you can see, the TCK does not look like a proper clock. In the below image, the setup was Host PC <-> J-Link Plus for the TCK pin and Host PC <-> J-Link Plus <-> i.MX8MP JTAG port for the other pins. The clock is looking much more stable compared to the image above, indicating that the clock signal is getting affected by something. I measured the resistance of the TCK pin to all other pins and found a minimum ohm value of 200k, which is still too high to affect the TCK signal.

0 Kudos

Dhruvit
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @SegFault0,

Could you please provide me with schematic for JTAG connection.

Thanks & Regards,
Dhruvit Vasavada

0 Kudos

SegFault0
Contributor I

Hello,

I send you a private message regarding the schematic.

0 Kudos

Dhruvit
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @SegFault0,

Is the JTAG_MOD pin pulled down by a 10K ohm resistor?

Thanks & Regards,
Dhruvit Vasavada

0 Kudos

SegFault0
Contributor I

Which pin are you referencing when you talk about the JTAG_MOD pin? The pin is not listed in the schematic I sent you neither is it listed in any other schematic.

0 Kudos

Dhruvit
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @SegFault0,

Please refer to 8.1.1.1 Muxing Options in i.MX 8M Plus Applications Processor Reference Manual for JTAG_MOD pad.

Screenshot from 2023-06-13 11-24-59.png

One can refer to i.MX8MP EVK reference design schematic for more information.

i.MX 8M Plus LPDDR4 EVK Compute Module Design Files  (sheet 8 of SPF-46368_A3.pdf)

Screenshot from 2023-06-13 11-31-29.png

Thanks & Regards,
Dhruvit Vasavada

0 Kudos

PhilipGeuchen
Contributor I

I have a similar problem with the i.MX8MP. It looks like the debug mode cannot be reached.
At least the RTDOBS field of the SDMAARMx_CONFIG register stays at 0 (RTD pins disabled). In the same register there is also a CSM (Context Switch Mode), which is set to 3 (dynamic) by default. Does this have to be switched to 0 (static) for debugging?
In addition in the reference manual still under 7.2.3.6.1.3.3 DEBUG mode that two things must be considered.

1 Ensure the SDMA clocks are running from the CCM.
How can I check this?

2. set the clk_gating_off pin high or use the SDMA to set ONCE_ENB[0].
Where can I find the clk_gating_off pin? This may be irrelevant, since ONCE_ENB is already set to zero.

I hope someone here can help.

0 Kudos

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Philip

If this is your custom board please also verify the signal level on your JTAG_MOD pin.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos