cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX53 DDR_Stress_Test, No UART Rx

stevenconway
Contributor I

Hi all,

I have a custom iMX53 board with DDR3 memory that I'm trying to run the DDR_Stress_Test.exe (1.0) for MX53). I'm able to load the image to the processor, but when asked for the chip density I don't get a response from the iMX53.

My setup is as follows:

1. COM1 from the PC connected to UART2 on the iMX board as our board has remapped UART1 to ALT3.

2. UART1(ALT3) is then connected to another COM port on my PC (COM6) to a terminal emulator running 115200 8n1

3. Modified the example DDR3 inc file (as attached) to

a. Change the original UART1 pins (CSI0_DAT10 and CSI0_DAT11)  to ALT0

b. Set PATA_DMACK and PATA_DIOW to ALT3 (UART1 RX and TX)

c. Set IOMUXC_UART1_IPP_UART_RXD_MUX_SELECT_INPUT for PATA_DMACK for Mode - ALT3

d. Modified the DDR setup registers to match my DDR3 configuration.

As mentioned the download seems to work and with the following output on the command line:

C:\My Apps\iMX53\DDR_Stress_Tester_for MX51_MX53>DDR_Stress_Tester.exe -t mx53 -df DU.inc -com 1

HAB_TYPE: DEVELOP

Image loading...

download Image to IRAM OK

Running DDR test..., press "ESC" key to exit.

and on the terminal emulator:

DDR Stress Test (1.0) for MX53

Build: Apr 13 2011, 13:44:13

Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.

Please select the DDR density per chip select (in bytes) on the board

Type 0 for 128MB; 1 for 64MB; 2 for 32MB; 3 for 16MB

When I try to enter an option (pressing the '3' key) there is no response from the iMX. I think the iMX is not receiving any characters, and I've confirmed on a scope it is electrically working (i.e. I see the signal on UART1_RX.ALT3 pin) so I'm at a loose end.

Any thoughts?

Message was edited by: Steven Conway  Added setting INPUT_SELECT for PATA_DMACK, behaviour remains the same with no Rx characters. Uploaded updated *.inc file

Original Attachment has been moved to: DU.inc.zip

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

lcameron
Contributor I

I've picked this up again, and also had to do hardware mods to the board to get the stress tester running. 

Leigh

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

According to MUX_MODE field description of IOMUXC_PATA_DMACK in

i.MX53 Reference Manual, it is needed additionally to configure
UART1_IPP_UART_RXD_MUX_SELECT_INPUT for mode ALT3.

IOMUXC_UART1_IPP_UART_RXD_MUX_SELECT_INPUT[DAISY] = ALT3

(Selecting Pad: PATA_DMACK for Mode: ALT3)

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

stevenconway
Contributor I

Hi Yuri,

Thank you for the response.

I've added a line into the inc file to set the DAISY as follows and I still have the same issue.

setmem /32 0x53FA8878 = 0x00000003          //IOMUXC_UART1_IPP_UART_RXD_MUX_SELECT_INPUT[DAISY] = ALT3

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos

stevenconway
Contributor I

In short I've been able to successfully run the DDR_Stress_Test, though I had to modify the hardware to do so.

I first built a bare metal project loaded into IRAM (used mx53_QSB_led as a basis) and successfully tested UART1 RX comms on PATA_DMACK by looping back in the iMX53. So I think my UART hardware is ok from the RS232 line receiver to PATA_DMACK, and the register settings being used in the inc file for the DDR Stess Test app.

I then modified the hardware to put the RX signal onto CSI_DAT11 for a test and removed the added IOMUX edits from the inc file and was able to run the stress tester. I'm not sure why I couldn't get this working remapping UART1 RX onto the PATA_DMACK pin.

Does the image for the DDR stress test manipulate the IOMUX registers? I would like to be able to run this on our production hardware without modifying the hardware.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The i.MX53 Stress Test test uses Serial Downloader boot mode settings.

Please take  alook at section 7.8 [Serial Downloader (BOOT_MODE[1:0] = 0b11)]
of the i.MX53 Reference Manual.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos