iMX28 EVK GUI development

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX28 EVK GUI development

thomaslin
Contributor IV

Hi, I am a new starter in iMX28 platform.

Already use LTIB to build a Gnome with matchbox.

Try to use GTK in Ubuntu to develop ap, but it can't work.

So, how to do for our own iMX28 product?

Find 3rd party for UI coding? Any open source can be develop in this platform?

5 Replies

emanuelec
Contributor III

Hello Thomas,

I use iMX28 too and I use Qt library and QtCreator as IDE. These tools are partially free but you have to read licence before the use: the licence (if I well remember is LGPL or similar) limits the use of your final software but all functinalities are avaibles.

I use this tool and in my target I don't use X/Gnome: if you use Qt library you have QWS engine (embedded) to display graphics object (the look-and-fell is for me more beautiful than GTK and Qt is a complete framework!) . Using Qt you can develop multiplatform software and, for example, you can debug under Windows or Linux in you PC host and after this steps you deploy in your iMX target. You can also debug directly cross-platform "Linux PC" - "Linux iMX" via cross GDB (I reccomend GDB version 7.5).

This method permits lightweight applications without desktop manager: in this microcontroller to use Gnome I think may be "resource consuming". The goal for this approach is the use in devices with single application. However if you need more graphics applications running at the same time, desktop manager (like Gnome) is the best way. Pay attention: Gnome for iMX28 is very very poor and slow...

Ciao

Emanuele

0 Kudos

thomaslin
Contributor IV

Hi Emanuele,

Thanks, this is great helpful advise.

So far, use Yocto build a sato GUI. Already found Qt example inside. After that, no idea to set GUI toolchain.

Also follow How to install Qt Creator - IGEP Community Wiki , But still can't set development well.

Still work on it. If ok, could you advise the detail setup or reference document for my setup reference.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos

emanuelec
Contributor III

Thomas,

I don't know Yocto. I use classic LTIB. You can get some useful information about Qt install and qt build library here: [SOLVED] qt 4.7.4 embedded on i.mx28

I follow Freescale guide 2011FSLDwFiMX28QtHandsOn.pdf  (see link above): you can follow the second half of this PDF where it is explained how to configure and set-up qt library and qt debugger.

Other docs are located here: L2.6.35_MX28_SDK_10.12_SOURCE

Ciao

Emanuele

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, Thomas,

After you edit your code and compile it with ARM gcc-4.4.4 compiler, The program should normally run on i.mx28 platform.

After installing LTIB, the compilier has been installed at "/opt/freescale/....", please check if it exists.

thomaslin
Contributor IV

Dear Weidong,

Thanks. Follow How to get an application run on EVK

Already can make simple "hello world" in txt mode.

But can't run in Gnome Mobile system.

Regards,

0 Kudos