Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MXRT1176 BOOT from eMMC

JayCao
Contributor III

Hello NXP team,

Please help us on this case.

Our company was changed to use eMMC on an eSDHC2 port instead of external Flash memory for our application on RT1176 MCU.

I am following the guide on:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/i-MXRT1050-BOOT-from-eMMC/m-p/1391358

with Boot configuration (compared to EVK board) (no problem with boot mode)

BOOT_CFG

0/1

While there were no issues encountered during the utilization of SecureProvisioning, I am experiencing difficulties with the LED blinking functionality.

JayCao_0-1712839816624.png

I have attached our project and executable image, so please help me to check it.

Best regards,

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

EdwinHz
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @JayCao,

What kind of difficulties are you experiencing? Is the image not booting at all?

Rather than following the other community post as a guide, I would highly recommend you base your project on this knowledge base article instead, as it goes into much more detail on how to achieve an SD card/eMMC boot step by step. Here's the link: RT1050 SDRAM app code boot from SDcard burn with 3 tools - NXP Community

BR,
Edwin.

0 Kudos

JayCao
Contributor III

Hello EdwinHz,

Thanks for your response!
The Image is not booting at all.
I followed the guide from the link you provided, and everything works fine when I use an SD card on the EVKit. However, it's not working when we use eMMC memory.

Since we have only used the LED blinking example for testing and haven't encountered any issues with the software, the problem may lie with the boot configuration or the compatibility of the eMMC memory. Despite trying various configurations, we are still unable to boot successfully.

That's why I require assistance from NXP technical support.

JayCao_0-1713743883244.png

Best regards,

0 Kudos

EdwinHz
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @JayCao,

If booting from SD doesn't cause any issues, then the issue is most likely with compatibility problems with the eMMC, since the Expansion Device boot configuration seems to work adequately. The Expansion Device configuration, which includes booting from SD as well as eMMC memories, is described on section 10.6.6 of the Reference Manual. 

Is the issue only present when booting the RT1170? Or also when trying to access the eMMC normally during application? If you havn't tried accessing the eMMC during application, I would highly encourage you to do so, as it can provide insight on whether the issue is with the compatibility of the eMMC device you are using, or the setup that is being done of this memory during the boot process.

BR,
Edwin.

0 Kudos

JayCao
Contributor III

Hello EdwinHz,

It took a long time to reply but please help us to solve this problem.

Because there are not any eMMC examples so I have referenced another device like below:

JayCao_0-1715845127888.png

However, there was a bus fault problem at the MMC_Init function as below:

JayCao_3-1715845578866.png

We are using USDHC2 with an internal pull-up, so I wonder if we need a pull-up on the DATA0-7 line or not?
If you know what the problem is, please guide us to pass through this.

Best regards,

Jay Cao

0 Kudos