cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6Q Dual display HD video on HDMI and 16-bit LCD

joshkurland
Contributor IV

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to output HD video on both the HDMI port and the 16-bit Parallel LCD port (configured as BT.1120) at the same time, either as mirrored or separate displays.  If it is possible, are there any instructions on how to do it?

The platform is an i.MX6Q running Freescale's 3.10.17-1.0.0-ga BSP.

Thank you,

Josh K.

Labels (3)
5 Replies

joshkurland
Contributor IV

Hi Igor,

I found that dual displays with independent decode is possible on the imx6q platform using the configuration I had stated above.  I have confirmed that dual HD display is supported as long as the resolutions are the same.  I have not tested this on standard definition, but I assume the logic will hold.  Is it possible to de-couple HDMI and HD parallel display so that they do not share the same pll?  Then each interface could be set to an independent resolution.

How can I apply to Freescale professional services for further support?

Thank you,

Josh K.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Josh

I think yes, this is possible and below link

may help

Patch to Support BT656 and BT1120 Output For i.MX6 BSP

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos

joshkurland
Contributor IV

Hi Igor,

Thank you for your response.  I have read that post many times, but I'm afraid it does not actually solve my issue.  According to Qiang_FSL,

In clock.c, the current clock setting is for 27MHz NTSC and PAL mode, for 1080i, you need the 74.25MHz clock, so you should change the clock source in clock.c.

From

clk_set_parent(&ipu1_di_clk[0], &pll3_pfd_540M);  //for CVBS 27MHz clock

To

clk_set_parent(&ipu1_di_clk[0], &pll5_video_main_clk);

After applying the patch 0001-Support-BT656-and-BT1120-output-for-iMX6-ipuv3.patch from L3.10.17_1.0.0_GA_bt656_output_patch_2014-07-21.zip, I changed the ipu1 clock to use pll5_video_main_clk as suggested.  I understand that this pll5_video_main_clk will cause conflicts between HDMI and the LCD ports, and that the solution is to set HDMI to use IPU2.  In my device tree, my lcd and hdmi settings are as follows

lcd@0 {

compatible = "fsl,lcd";

ipu_id = <0>;      // IPU 0

disp_id = <0>;     // DISPLAY 0

default_ifmt = "RGB565";

pinctrl-names = "default";

pinctrl-0 = <&pinctrl_ipu1_1>;

status = "okay";

};

&hdmi_core {

ipu_id = <1>;    // IPU 1

disp_id = <0>;   // Display 0

status = "okay";

};

My boot argument is as follows:

video=mxcfb0:dev=lcd,BT1120-NTSC,if=BT1120,fbpix=UYVY16,bpp=16 video=mxcfb1:dev=hdmi,1024x768M@60,if=RGB24,bpp=32 video=mxcfb2:off video=mxcfb3:off fbmem=28M,28M consoleblank=0

When I set fb0 to BT1120-NTSC or BT1120-PAL, my HDMI display will go black and displays the message "Not Supported".  When BT1120-1080I50 or BT1120-1080I60 is set, the HDMI display comes back, but nothing is displayed on the LCD monitor (see i.MX6Q BT.1120 SAV/EAV issue).  Conversely, if I have NTSC or PAL video on the LCD display and update fb2 mode, HDMI comes back and LCD goes away.

Have I set IPU1 and IPU2 correctly, or is there another step that I am missing?  Is it possible to determine which IPU the device is on from looking at the framebuffer or IPU registers? 

Thank you,

Josh K.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Josh

this configuration is not supported in Freescale BSPs,

also without real board it is difficult to resolve it.

It may be recommended to apply to freescale professional services.

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos