cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 DualLite VPU Documentation

zaferrcobann
Contributor I

Hi,

We need to implement a driver for VPU in order to encode/decode video on VxWorks7 OS. Is there a way to get the necessary documentation to operate the VPU?

Regards,

Zaferr Cobann

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

JayTu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If you can be more specific, what kind of document do you need?

There is reference manual and also vpu driver on Linux you can refer to.

0 Kudos

zaferrcobann
Contributor I

We need the type of documents like Artur said that NXP has no rights to distribute due to the agreement with the IP owner(any detailed information/documentation/software source code). We want to develop our own driver for another operating system and reverse engineering from Linux driver without having a good understanding of the VPU seems a lot of effort and involves so much risk. Even a simple interface like UART has 77 pages in reference manual but VPU has only 35 pages. And it does not seem like it explains every interface with the VPU. Do you think it is enough to develop a VPU driver from scratch just by reading ref. manual?

0 Kudos

JayTu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The driver is open source, you don't need to do reverse engineer. We also provided unit test that makes it easier to check single case (i.e., only encode or decode). You can start it there to further understand VPU.

0 Kudos

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The VPU IP core of the i.MX6 series processors is not the product by NXP, but by the 3rd party vendor Chips&Media:

http://en.chipsnmedia.com/

According to the agreement with the vendor, NXP has no rights to publicly distribute any detailed information/documentation/software source code for this product. For all the information above, please contact Chips&Media directly.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

zaferrcobann
Contributor I

Hi,

After weeks of efforts on searching and going back and forth between the two companies asking for the materials we still don't have them. I think NXP is not approaching the problem in a right way. This chip(i.MX6) is a product of NXP and the company should be responsible for everything inside it. NXP has to provide every material for its customers to make development on the chip. We should not dig into every IP inside the i.MX6, find out the vendor, and ask for documentation. NXP sells it as a whole SoC and should provide these materials.

Anyway, maybe we should re-think our choice of application processor. It does not seem to be a good idea to continue with a processor without knowing how every parts inside it operates.

Regards,

Zafer.

0 Kudos

zaferrcobann
Contributor I

Hi Artur,

I've already contacted James Lee from Chips&Media and he recommended to ask NXP directly for the documentation. So I posted here. Can you share the documentation under a signed NDA or any similar processes?

Regards,

Zaferr.

0 Kudos