cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX27 External Oscillator CSCR Settings

Jump to solution
chriswiddis
Contributor I

We have been using a crystal as the input to the 26M oscillator on the i.MX27. We are attempting to modify the design to use an external oscillator input instead. The external oscillator is input on the EXTAL26M pin.

What I am unclear about is the correct setting of the OSC26M_DIS bit. I was under the impression from the documentation that this bit should be set to 1 when using an external oscillator. However, this results in the system locking up when I restart the MPLL to use the new clock settings. When I leave this bit set to 0, everything seems to operate correctly, however that is not what I expect to happen. With an external oscillator, what is the correct setting for this bit? Is there something I am missing in order to disable the internal oscillator?

Here is the CSCR register setting:

CSCR = 0x33378101; //This works. OSC26M_DIS = 0

CSCR = 0x33378109; //This fails. OSC26M_DIS = 1

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Chris

this bit can disable internal schematic, related to input 26MHz clock.

OSC26M_DIS = 1 disable 26MHz clock at all. This may be needed, say,

to decrease consumption when 26MHz clock is not used.

So, for any 26MHz configuration (crystal or generator) OSC26M_DIS

should be cleared.

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Chris

this bit can disable internal schematic, related to input 26MHz clock.

OSC26M_DIS = 1 disable 26MHz clock at all. This may be needed, say,

to decrease consumption when 26MHz clock is not used.

So, for any 26MHz configuration (crystal or generator) OSC26M_DIS

should be cleared.

Best regards

igor

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos