Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX 8M Nano secondary boot image on spi boot

Jump to solution
lelle
Contributor I

Hello,

We’re planning implementation of having a fail-safe update mechanism for bootloader (u-boot) and would like to utilize the “Secondary image boot” feature. Our board boots from 4MB serial NOR over SPI (ECSPI1).

Bootloader is typically divided into two parts, SPL (loaded by CPU) and u-boot (loaded by SPL). The both parts are likely to be dependent on specific configuration of each other and should be updated as a pair.

This is difficult to achieve without knowing if we have booted using “Primary Image boot” or “secondary Image boot”.

Boot flow diagram of reference manual mentions an image index persistent bit.

Does the CPU BOOT ROM store this information in any register or is it possible to somehow find out?

lelle_0-1680597899291.png

Regards,

Lelle

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sanket_Parekh
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
Hi @lelle ,

I hope you are doing well.

Information about persistent bits is removed and additional info is not made public in the latest version of RM as it is not required by users.

ROM sets PERSIST_SECONDARY_BOOT (SRC_GPR10[30]) bit to 1 if the primary boot image is corrupted or bad

It is required to fuse IMG_CNTN_SET1_OFFSET to support the secondary boot in i.MX8MN.

Please refer to 6.1.6.2 Secondary Image Boot in i.MX 8M Nano Applications Processor Reference Manual.

Thanks & Regards,
Sanket Parekh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Sanket_Parekh
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
Hi @lelle ,

I hope you are doing well.

Information about persistent bits is removed and additional info is not made public in the latest version of RM as it is not required by users.

ROM sets PERSIST_SECONDARY_BOOT (SRC_GPR10[30]) bit to 1 if the primary boot image is corrupted or bad

It is required to fuse IMG_CNTN_SET1_OFFSET to support the secondary boot in i.MX8MN.

Please refer to 6.1.6.2 Secondary Image Boot in i.MX 8M Nano Applications Processor Reference Manual.

Thanks & Regards,
Sanket Parekh
0 Kudos
lelle
Contributor I

Hello,

Thank you, this is precisely what I'm looking for.

Regards,

lelle

0 Kudos