Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to setup locales on imx ?

Jump to solution
blurencetin
Contributor II

Hey guys,

I need to setup locale to display unicode charsets on my imx6 sabresd, i checked out LTIB(L3.0.35_4.1.0_130816), but found nothing related.

I have also tried oneiric ubuntu image, it works well.

so, I copied following files/dirs from oneiric rootfs to my sabresd linux:

/usr/sbin/locale

/usr/sbin/localedef

/usr/sbin/locale-gen

/usr/lib/locale

/usr/share/i18n

then, use 'locale-gen' to add/update locales,the command runs ok, and 'locale -a' could list out all the supported charset.

But some characters still cannot displayed after i changed locale by command "export LC_ALL=xxx" and "export LANG=xxx".

I found similar ticket here: Locale LTIB iMX, but no answer.

Is there any other easy way for imx charset setup? or any configuration files missed in my procedure?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
1 Solution
blurencetin
Contributor II

yes, add "libc locale files" support is first step.

then prepare those locale files (locale/localedef/locale-gen, charmap and i18n under usr/share) to generate correct locale env.

those files could be found under freescale oneiric rootfs use locale -a to confirm.

last, if you need to display wide-byte characters, remember to fix busybox bug (1.17+)for terminal output.

And, if you need usb vfat unicode support, dont forget to add unicode support in kernel nls options.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
blurencetin
Contributor II

solved, please close it.

thanks.

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I’m glad to hear you found a solution. I looked for an answer  but there is no much information available regarding this, at least for LTIB or Linux for the i.MX families of processors.

I’ve tried to set it up on LTIB

$ ./ltib --configure

Then:

Toolchain component options --->

[*]     libc locale files

But haven’t seen any changes. Did you changed it on /etc/locale.conf?

If you would please share the solution it would very likely help other users on the community.

0 Kudos
blurencetin
Contributor II

yes, add "libc locale files" support is first step.

then prepare those locale files (locale/localedef/locale-gen, charmap and i18n under usr/share) to generate correct locale env.

those files could be found under freescale oneiric rootfs use locale -a to confirm.

last, if you need to display wide-byte characters, remember to fix busybox bug (1.17+)for terminal output.

And, if you need usb vfat unicode support, dont forget to add unicode support in kernel nls options.

0 Kudos
blurencetin
Contributor II

Any suggestions or tips?

I am puzzled that as no more references of the charset setup on imx, how to do localization for different customers?

0 Kudos