how to set up kernel modifications in NXP/yocto build system?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to set up kernel modifications in NXP/yocto build system?

tylernol
Contributor IV

I am setting up a build system for the imx6ul with NXP's support in yocto. I can generate sd card images for the evk board. The next step I want to do is use a local, eventually Gerrit-hosted, branch of the kernel_imx , add custom kernel drivers and build locally using that rather than having it pulled in from the bb layers source. I should be able to do something like the following , where I have git cloned linux-imx from the NXP repo.

```

DEV_DIR = "/ebs_data/yocto-dev"

KERNEL_SRC = "git://${DEV_DIR}/linux-imx;protocol=file"

SRCBRANCH = "imx_4.9.11_1.0.0_ga"

SRCREV = "427eb8371fd5e9bceec18ca8838ac6eb1e51ad3a"

```

however the local.conf is not the place for it to be since, SRCREV and SRCBRANCH are getting picked up by many recipes and I want it localized to the kernel only. What is the appropriate .bb file to place this in? Thanks!

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

tylernol
Contributor IV

I have,  in this case I believe it does not work in the case for NXP, because NXP has layers that already substitute the linux-imx kernel for the yocto kernel, NXP diverges from the yocto Documentation. Does NXP have documentation that reflects the steps needed for their variant? 

0 Kudos

karangajjar
Senior Contributor II

Hi Tyler Arnold,

Please go through below document and let us know for any concerns:

Building Linux Kernel 

You can build kernel without yocto and copy the kernel image to your booting device.

Regards,

Karan Gajjar

0 Kudos

karangajjar
Senior Contributor II

Hi Tyler Arnold,

Have you followed below link from the yocto reference manual? It says about working with your own sources

Yocto Project Linux Kernel Development Manual 

Let us know in case of any concern.

Regards,

Karan Gajjar

0 Kudos