how to set persistent cpu frequency

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to set persistent cpu frequency

dluberger
Contributor V

I'm using the imx6 SoloX eval board. During boot, I'm drawing too much current through my ARM Core 1.35V supply.  I see that I can throttle the Core power by limiting the operating frequency, but no matter what I set the cpufreq governor to, it always seems to use "on demand" during boot-up. What I think I need is to have the governor set to powersave during bootup, which will set the core to the lowest available frequency, then I can just change it to on demand later, but how to I make the device use a particular governor during boot?  My hope is that I don't have to mess with a custom kernel build, but I do know there is a "default" option in the kernel menuconfig.  Is there a way to do it via startup script or some persistent setting change?

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

b36401
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Alternatively you can add changing CPU frequency into startup script.

0 Kudos

dluberger
Contributor V

I was thinking about that but I have no idea how to make the init process do that first thing, plus that wouldn't affect the kernel.  I'm wondering if there's a way to do it through the bootloader (uboot) with a boot script?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David

default linux cpufreq governor can be changed using

sect.2.3.3.2.2 Menu Configuration Options attached Linux Manual.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/cpu-freq/governors.txt 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

dluberger
Contributor V

That's what I mentioned in my post. I wanted to avoid rebuilding the kernel. Is there no other way to do it?

0 Kudos