cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bootloader error when programming external flash for MIMXRT1176

apachez_zzx
Contributor I

Hello.
I use the MIMXRT1176DVMAA microcontroller in the project.
To load the firmware, I used a scheme similar to that of MIMXRT1170-EVK.
External flash memory - IS25WP128, connected to the FlexSPI1 interface (similar to MIMXRT1170-EVK)

Contacts of the FlexSPI1 interface.
FlexSPI1_A_SS0_B GPIO_SD_B2_06
FlexSPI1_A_SCLK GPIO_SD_B2_07
FlexSPI1_A_DATA0 GPIO_SD_B2_08
FlexSPI1_A_DATA1 GPIO_SD_B2_09
FlexSPI1_A_DATA2 GPIO_SD_B2_10
FlexSPI1_A_DATA3 GPIO_SD_B2_11

To set up boot from external memory via FlexSPI1, I used a boot setup scheme similar to MIMXRT1170-EVK. External contacts BOOT_CFG[11:0] = “0”,
BOOT_MODE[1:0] = "10".

For programming, I use the USB-ML-UNIVERSAL-FX programmer from PEmicro.

When I try to program the IS25WP128 flash memory on my board via Keil MDK-ARM or via MCUXpresso IDE, the message "Error! Erase Range timed out!
At the same time, my project is flashed into flash memory on the MIMXRT1170-EVK debug board.

Can you please tell me what could be causing this error? Are there any settings that are enabled by default for MIMXRT1170-EVK,
and for user projects these settings should be included separately? Does the IS25WP128 chip need to be somehow pre-configured before
how to use it as part of the MIMXRT1176 - IS25WP128 system?

I took the "flexspi/nor" project from the Keil MDK-ARM examples, built it to run in RAM, booted into debug, and linked to flash.
Read VendorID and status register. Bit #6 of the QE status register is set to "1"

0 Kudos
2 Replies

PabloAvalos
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear @apachez_zzx 

Thanks a lot for your patience here. I really appreciate you reached our technical support.

Regarding something that you mentioned: "At the same time, my project is flashed into flash memory on the MIMXRT1170-EVK debug board." , did you flash this same program to our EVK using the same debugger and it was into the internal flash ? 

Also, regarding IS25WP128 chip, as far as I am concern, it is not needed any additional config., I am wondering if you already tried using MCU Boot Utility from Jay-Heng ? it is very useful to boot external memories and configure the necessary parameters. You can find it in Google!

Please let me know what you find, I will stay tuned to your reply here. Thanks again for your patience.

Best Regards.
Pablo Avalos.

0 Kudos

mike2000
Contributor I

I ran into a similar issue. I also took as a basis the boot scheme with MIMXRT1170-EVK: MIMXRT1176 microcontroller and IS25WP128 memory.
USB-MULTILINK programmer from PEmicro. On the MIMXRT1170-EVK, the IS25WP128 flash memory is programmed successfully.
On my board, when I try to program through the MCUXpresso IDE, the following message appears in the console:
Erasing.
Error! Erase Range timed out!
Error erasing flash of device
Error occured during Flash programming.
What could be the problem?

0 Kudos