Using all 4 i.MX53x USB ports?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using all 4 i.MX53x USB ports?

TedMichon
Contributor I

The docs tout that the i.MX53 devices have 4 USB ports. Has anyone actually been able to get all 4 four to work?

When we have asked for app notes or examples, we are pointed to other products or to a design that adds a hub to extend the 1 host on the QSB into 3 hubs.

Is the four USB port claim bogus?

We cannot even find an example (we have asked technical support) of any i.MX53 implementation of the USB PHY interfaces.

Thanks for any feedback.

-Ted

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

TedMichon
Contributor I

You are echoing my observation that the only way we have seen an i.MX53 4 USB solution implemented used a HUB to extend one of the internal USBs. We have never seen a design that uses the 4 internal ports nor one that adds an external PHY. Also, the external PHY connections listed on the IOMux tool are NOT for the minimal 12 pin PHY interface.

To repeat, there are NO documented examples of all 4 internal USB ports in use!

-Ted

0 Kudos

JerryFan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

i.MX53 do have 4 USB port, 1 OTG and 3 for HOST. And OTG and Host3 have intergated phy within the chip, while Host1, and Host2 has no intergareted phy, but a phy interface which can connected with extern phy or hub were provided. Please refer i.MX53_EVK board for detail, (the hub USB2517 was used.). 

0 Kudos

TedMichon
Contributor I

Access to 2 of the 4 USB ports require external USB PHYs and the QSB does not have any.

-Ted

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You should take a look on QSB schematics, I´m pretty sure QSB hardware cannot handle 4 USB port because there is some USB pins used for another purpose.

I think you would need another hardware project to explore all 4 USB, and understand the IOMUXing for they.

0 Kudos