Using UART2 from Linux on i.MX8M-EVK board

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using UART2 from Linux on i.MX8M-EVK board

BernardDAUTREVA
Contributor II

On the i.MX8M-EVK board there are two UARTs available through the USB micro socket, which is fine.

One is used as a Linux console and the other is connected to the Cortex-M4 core.

In my case I would not use the Cortex-M4 but would like to have access to the UART2 from Linux. I presume I will have to modify the DTS, adding a node for uart2, but I wonder what pin multiplexing definitions to use (probably I will have to add them too).

Moreover, I presume that the UART2 was dedicated to the Cortex-M4 and I don't know how (and especially where) to reprogram the RDC (Resource Domain Controler) to arrange for the UART2 to be accessible from the Cortex-A53). Or is the UART2 declared as a shared peripheral at boot time?

Thanks for any pointer to relevant BSP documentation or to any hints on how to do that.

Bernard

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bernard

RDC is not used at boot time and it has default settings.

To have access to the UART2 from Linux one can use below dts (set status = "okay" for UART2)

linux/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/fsl-imx8mq-evk-root.dts

fsl-imx8mq-evk-root.dts\freescale\dts\boot\arm64\arch - linux-imx - i.MX Linux kernel 

For using UART2 with M4 below dts file is used ( UART2 is dedicated to the Cortex-M4)

linux/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/fsl-imx8mq-evk-m4.dts

fsl-imx8mq-evk-m4.dts\freescale\dts\boot\arm64\arch - linux-imx - i.MX Linux kernel 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos