cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to take screenshot on i.MX53 SABRE with WEC7

Jump to solution
kriszawada
Contributor III

How does one capture a screenshot using i.MX53 SABRE running Windows Embedded Compact 7 (WEC7).

Normally in Microsoft Windows you can just plug in a USB keyboard and use the Print Screen key on the keyboard and MS Paint.

I have been searching for this and one site recommended using Active Sync and some remote software tool.  However, this is much tougher to setup with this unit.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
1 Solution
kriszawada
Contributor III

Ok, so I finally found a solution for this although it is not stand alone on the device.

1) First, boot up the i.MX53 SABRE tablet image with WEC7 SD/microSD card.

2) Use the USB stick to copy the "Connectivity Files" from development PC to tablet

From (Development PC):

Clientshutdown.exe: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\CoreCon\1.0\Target\wce400\armv4i\clientshutdown.exe"

CMAccept.exe: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\CoreCon\1.0\Target\wce400\armv4i\CMAccept.exe"

ConmanClient2.exe: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\CoreCon\1.0\Target\wce400\armv4i\ConmanClient2.exe"

DeviceAgentTransport.dll: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\CoreCon\1.0\Target\wce400\armv4i\DeviceAgentTransport.dll"

eDbgTL.dll: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\CoreCon\1.0\Target\wce400\armv4i\eDbgTL.dll"

TcpConnectionA.dll: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\CoreCon\1.0\Target\wce400\armv4i\TcpConnectionA.dll"

TCPBootstrapA.exe: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Remote Framework Tools\1.10\target\wce700\armV4i\TCPBootstrapA.exe"

To (i.MX53 SABRE Tablet):

My Device -> Windows -> Windows ->

Clientshutdown.exe

CMAccept.exe

ConmanClient2.exe

DeviceAgentTransport.dll

eDbgTL.dll

TcpConnectionA.dll

TCPBootstrapA.exe

See: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3491.debug-an-application-over-ethernet-w...

3)  From i.MX53 SABRE tablet, launch "ConmanClient2.exe" from START | Programs | Command Prompt

\Pocket CMD v 7.00

\> ConmanClient2.exe

4) From i.MX53 SABRE tablet, launch "CMAccept.exe" from START | Programs | Command Prompt

\Pocket CMD v 7.00

\> CMAccept.exe

5) From development PC launch "Remote Zoom In" from START | All Programs | Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 | Visual Studio Remote Tools | Remote Zoom In.

7) Connect to the target from "Remote Zoom In" tool.

8) Take the screen capture from the menu bar using File | New Bitmap.

WEC7_Screenshot.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
qiang_li-mpu_se
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Microsoft has the sample code for such tool: WINCE700\public\COMMON\oak\drivers\CErDisp

The "CErDisp" is the board side tool, and the "CErHost" is the PC side tool, after connected by network, the CErDisp will capture the WinCE screen and send to PC side, the CErHost will get the captured picture and show on PC side.

0 Kudos
kriszawada
Contributor III

Hello Qiang,

After search for this I am getting quite the amount solutions that utilize a host and device side tool and an Ethernet connection.

Is there any other simple tool which essentially (1) connect to screen buffer (RGB values in memory), (2) make a copy of it to the local buffer, and (3) output this as a BMP file on the SD card.

I want to use something very simple without setting up Ethernet connections mainly because of IT policies and the length of time it takes me to do this.

Sincerely,

Kris

qiang_li-mpu_se
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If you just wants some tool from end user point of view, you can try "Pocket Controller Pro for Windows Mobile and Windows CE "

http://www.soti.net/products/pc-windows/

0 Kudos
kriszawada
Contributor III

I find it absolutely ridiculous that Windows Embedded Compact 7 does not have built-in functionality that allows a screenshot.  This is one of the first items on the list when troubleshooting problems.

All mobile devices now days (phones and tablets) do this automatically by triggering it with holding down two buttons and such.

Very disappointing that third party trial software is needed for this.

kriszawada
Contributor III

Ok, so I finally found a solution for this although it is not stand alone on the device.

1) First, boot up the i.MX53 SABRE tablet image with WEC7 SD/microSD card.

2) Use the USB stick to copy the "Connectivity Files" from development PC to tablet

From (Development PC):

Clientshutdown.exe: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\CoreCon\1.0\Target\wce400\armv4i\clientshutdown.exe"

CMAccept.exe: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\CoreCon\1.0\Target\wce400\armv4i\CMAccept.exe"

ConmanClient2.exe: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\CoreCon\1.0\Target\wce400\armv4i\ConmanClient2.exe"

DeviceAgentTransport.dll: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\CoreCon\1.0\Target\wce400\armv4i\DeviceAgentTransport.dll"

eDbgTL.dll: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\CoreCon\1.0\Target\wce400\armv4i\eDbgTL.dll"

TcpConnectionA.dll: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\CoreCon\1.0\Target\wce400\armv4i\TcpConnectionA.dll"

TCPBootstrapA.exe: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Remote Framework Tools\1.10\target\wce700\armV4i\TCPBootstrapA.exe"

To (i.MX53 SABRE Tablet):

My Device -> Windows -> Windows ->

Clientshutdown.exe

CMAccept.exe

ConmanClient2.exe

DeviceAgentTransport.dll

eDbgTL.dll

TcpConnectionA.dll

TCPBootstrapA.exe

See: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3491.debug-an-application-over-ethernet-w...

3)  From i.MX53 SABRE tablet, launch "ConmanClient2.exe" from START | Programs | Command Prompt

\Pocket CMD v 7.00

\> ConmanClient2.exe

4) From i.MX53 SABRE tablet, launch "CMAccept.exe" from START | Programs | Command Prompt

\Pocket CMD v 7.00

\> CMAccept.exe

5) From development PC launch "Remote Zoom In" from START | All Programs | Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 | Visual Studio Remote Tools | Remote Zoom In.

7) Connect to the target from "Remote Zoom In" tool.

8) Take the screen capture from the menu bar using File | New Bitmap.

WEC7_Screenshot.png

0 Kudos