Streaming from Analog Video Input VADC using gstreamer (i.MX 6SoloX)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming from Analog Video Input VADC using gstreamer (i.MX 6SoloX)

hannesbo
Contributor I

Hello,

I am using the new single board computer UDOO NEO full (UDOO Neo - UDOO​) which is equipped with the i.MX 6SoloX and I would like to stream from the analog video input VADC using gstreamer (protocol not important, encoding preferably H.264). I have installed the recommended Linux distribution UDOObuntu2 (based on lubuntu 14.04 LTS armHF) and now I am struggling with the usage of gstreamer. In the UDOO Forum they say, this interface is not yet implemented, but perhaps someone of you could help me, or give me a few hints how to use gstreamer on the i.MX 6SoloX.

To my knowledge, the i.MX 6SoloX has no Hardware-Encoding-Unit (VPU?!), so is it necessary to install the gstreamer-imx package (gstreamer-imx/debian-ubuntu.md at master · Freescale/gstreamer-imx · GitHub​)?

With an USB-Camera (/dev/video1) the standard v4l2src is working, but I can't show anything from the VADC (/dev/video0) with v4l2src. Do I need imxv4l2videosrc to get access to the VADC?

I already managed it to create a network stream with the USB-Camera, by using vlc. But for my project, I also should be able to implement the streaming in C at some point and therefore gstreamer provides some libraries. So at first I would like to create a network stream by using the command line with gstreamer and of course not from the USB-Camera but from the VADC.

I really need help.

Thank you very much!!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

You may try using NXP BSP. Please look at Chapter 56 [Video Analog-to-Digital
Converter (VADC)] of "i.MX_Linux_Reference_Manual.pdf" of the recent BSP.

http://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L3.14.52_1.1.0_LINUX_DOCS

Before using an application, make sure that the following modules are loaded:

• insmod fsl_csi.ko

• insmod mxc_vadc_tvin.ko

• insmod csi_v4l2_capture.ko

For Gstreamer :

$ modprobe mxc_v4l2_capture

$ gstlaunch imxv4l2src ! imxv4l2sink

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

hannesbo
Contributor I

Thank you for your quick response.

I am using the Linux distribution which comes with the single board computer, so creating a complete new OS is a perhaps a bit too time-consuming...

The link with the documents is great, I didn't found that before. Thanks for that.

This unfortunately does not work on my board, I think my OS does not yet support the VADC.

$ modprobe mxc_v4l2_capture

And I only can find the plugin imxv4l2videosrc which comes with gst-launch-1.0 ...

I will try to write my own software using GitHub - cisco/openh264: Open Source H.264 Codec .

Again, thanks for your quick answer and have a great day too.

Hannes

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

You may try using demo image(s) for i.MX6 SX EVK, with UDOO specific Device Tree :

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L3.14.52_1.1.0_iMX6SX&appType=license&location=null&fpsp...

Basic Device Tree for the Udoo Board

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos

hannesbo
Contributor I

Hello,

I will for sure have a look at the demo image, thanks for that. But the basic device tree is only for the i.MX 6Quad isn't it? There it says "model = "Udoo i.MX6 Quad Board"; " and I am using the Udoo Neo Board with the i.MX 6SoloX... so this should not be compatible.

Regards,

Hannes

0 Kudos